Some sort of trim/beading around fireplace opening?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just renovated our home and decided we were going to source and old edwardian/victorian fireplace to go in the living room. So we didn't ask the plasterer to put them metal beads round the opening, and therefore he just made the edges quite rough. We then had the breast wallpapered and that has been trimmed a bit far from the edges. This would all be fine if we still wanted the old victorian style fireplace, as it would cover all this, but now we've decided we'd quite like a wood burning stove and all the edges would be on show.

Is ripping off the wallpaper and plastering the edges again the only way to sort this out? or is there some kind of black beading/trim that we can put round the edges to hide it all? I have googled but not too sure what I'm looking for!

fireplace.jpg

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Wood burners give quite a lot of heat off, so a cement/lime render would best be used as gypsum plaster will crack with the heat.
So taking that in to account the angles can then be beaded off or can be formed without using beads.

Wood burners give quite a lot of heat off, so a cement/lime render would best be used as gypsum plaster will crack with the heat.
So taking that in to account the angles can then be beaded off or can be formed without using beads.

Many Thanks for your help. I will make sure that's what we use when the time comes. However, because the wallpaper is cut a bit too far away from the edges, I still need something to go round to make it look neater. I've seen trims that are used for those hole in the wall fires, but they seem to be standard sizes.

To be honest, I'd be thinking of losing the wallpaper as it is a combustible.
Wood burner=great heat.
What type of wood burner are you looking at a standard fire or stove.
A standard fire normally come with the trims and a stove don't need them.

Sponsored Links
Angle iron from a local metal working shop :idea: Take accurate measurements to them and they will be able to mitre the corners for you - and drill/ countersink a few fixing holes.. Take it home and paint black

I second the angle iron suggestion and you would probably even get it in B&Q or the like! A blast with stove paint and hey presto.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back