Something broken underneath car (no car knowledge)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, just wondering what's broken underneath my car before i take it in to get fixed. I've attached a couple of images. Is this just a broken muffler?
Thanks in advance and sorry for the silly question.

p.s. car doesn't seem to be too noisy?

Sponsored Links
When did it last get through the MoT? That has been neglected for a long time.

It appears to be a badly rusted and split exhaust component, probably a silencer but might be an expansion box. It's possible that other parts will be equally bad. It is probably not the catalytic converter which is likely to be stainless (and very expensive) unless your car has very bad combustion and the exhaust has been exploding.

The high street tyre & exhaust sheds such as Kwikfit or National Tyres will fix it at reasonable price. Have a look at their websites as there may be a money-off voucher you can download.

IME the manufacturer's own components are better, and are surprisingly about the same price, but it may vary by brand

Thanks for the reply. I think it got broken recently. Basically, my girlfriend and I bought this 2004 volvo v40 estate. Got MOT'd this month. When we bought it, the lady took it for a drive and hit a bump fairly hard so i think she may have damaged it then.

Do you think this needs to be fixed asap? I've been driving it and all seems fine for now.

Thanks again for the info!

Sponsored Links
It needs to be fixed, as it is, it will affect performance, apart from exhaust gases may get in the car.
As it is, it's also an mot failure, despite the fact that it has a valid mot.
Save up & get it sorted.

Thanks mate, will get it sorted. As it happens we were smelling fumes in the car from time to time. Can't be good haha.

Back