peugeot 206 1.6 glx Whistling/rattling sound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what is wrong with my car (please see attached youtube video)

The sound seems to come back more when it has rained (if that could be possible..)

It's like a rattling/ticking sound, was just wondering if i could get any ideas from people before i take it to the garage..

Sorry, I'm not a car guy...so I could only pin point the rough location by listening...and pointing the camera at the area

Thanks in advance.!!

Sponsored Links
See that belt that's whizzing around? Its driving the power steering pump.
My guess is that its the belt tensioner / idler below it that's complaining....normally we'd whip the belt off, start up and listen again. Spinning the idler with the belt and engine off will probably make the same racket!
John :)

Hi John, thanks for the reply.
I guess the 2 questions that I have are, if it is what you think it could be, is it an expensive job? secondly, Do you think that the car safe to drive for the time being, as I wont be able to get it into the garage till next week and I have a fairly long drive on Monday,

If its what I think it is, the car should be booked in for one hour to replace the tensioner and the belt also. Say £20 for each part but probably more from a Peugeot dealer.
However, the belt does drive other things, particularly the air conditioning compressor (if fitted) and alternator so naturally enough I can but guess.
The chances are the tensioner has been whining on for ages and isn't likely to let go imminently......famous last words!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info and prompt reply John. I'll get it booked in,
I have noticed that the air conditioning doesn't seem to be working. The fans and heater work, but the A/C wasn't blowing out cooler air when i tested it recently,

A/c compressor or clutch? The pulley looks to me to be running off centre (?)

I can't see anything running off centre, but for sure it's worth checking if there's any power steering fluid in the reservoir......Dextron 3 is the one.

hmm power steering fluid, thanks. I wouldn't have thought to have checked that. I'll look in the morning..

Sponsored Links
Back