Metal grating/rattling noise when accelerating only. What is it ? Video included

Sponsored Links
Fine, that rules out any item that is driven by the auxiliary belt......good move.
Now we turn to the timing belt. The only thing that can really give that sort of noise are the tensioner(s) incorporated.....the water pump won't rattle, neither will the diesel pump or camshaft.
What sort of history do we have there?
Also, are there any heat shields in the exhaust pipe area that could be loose and vibrating, especially those around the catalytic converter?
John :)

Hey Burnerman

I removed the top of the timing belt cover and did a little video of me moving the belt side to side to find out if people thought there appears to be enough tension on the timing belt or not. I think it feels fine but I'm not sure as I'm not a mechanic.

I assume if the tensioner was going bad then the belt would feel slack so I did this video to check the belt tension.

So I noticed the Belt looks a little rusty coloured on the Inside, is that normal ? There appears to be no leaks in that area.

Thanks

The belt looks just fine, in every respect including tension.
Start the engine up and see if you get any nearer to the noise?

Sponsored Links
The belt looks just fine, in every respect including tension.
Start the engine up and see if you get any nearer to the noise?

So you think this is nothing to do with the timing belt then ? I might have to get assistance to see where the noise is coming originating from or get a garage to have a quick look .

Thanks again

Car making funny noises? Hmm, well I can only hope my car radio doesn't go wrong or I'll never be able to "fix" them.

So you think this is nothing to do with the timing belt then ? I might have to get assistance to see where the noise is coming originating from or get a garage to have a quick look .

Thanks again
The belt is just fine, but we don’t know if a tensioner is rumbling in there......use a stethoscope as recommended by the other guys. Be careful though!

Incredible.
The belt is just fine, but we don’t know if a tensioner is rumbling in there......use a stethoscope as recommended by the other guys. Be careful though!

Hi Burnerman, Thanks for that information.

Tonight I did a bit more investigation. I put the car jack under the exhaust on the Flexi pipe section and jacked it up a bit and the noise disappeared. Once I removed the jack the noise reappeared and was very loud. Am I right to assume this is now exhaust related ?

I think the noise is from the exhaust Flexi pipe. About 2 years ago I cut out and clamped on an exhaust Flexi pipe ( they now do clamp on flexi pipes instead of having to weld them on )
I assumed the bolts on the exhaust clamp around the Flexi pipe had come loose so I decided to tighten them.up a bit.
When I put a socket on the bolts it made a snapping noise then kept spinning. They were not very tight as far as I'm aware. The bolts /screws were only small from a packet of mixed screws but the threads were the right size. so I'm wondering about getting a replacement exhaust clamp and stronger bolts and seeing if that solves it.

I'd appreciate your input here. Thanks

This car gets more dangerous by the day, you can now have gases entering the car, which is poisonous.

TAKE THIS CAR TO A GARAGE, YOU COULD BACK OUT WHILE DRIVING AND KILL SOMEONE.

Andy

This car gets more dangerous by the day, you can now have gases entering the car, which is poisonous.

TAKE THIS CAR TO A GARAGE, YOU COULD BACK OUT WHILE DRIVING AND KILL SOMEONE.

Andy

How does it get more dangerous by the day ??

Will you quit with your sarcastic comments and also stop throwing around wild false accusations, you never back yourself up or if explain yourself when I ask you too

At one point there was a very strong bleach smell that would hurt my eyes when the heater/cooling blowers were turned on , that was because the exhaust Flexi was bad and I clamped on a new one and no longer are fumes present inside the car.

While I had the exhaust off some idiot mechanic took it upon himself to bash out the internals of the exhaust dpf stating it would prevent future issues, though I didn't ask him or want him to do that .

I could back up and drive into someone ? No I'm not that careless with my driving.
In fact only about a week ago some old careless guy backed out and hit my car door . I won't be getting it repaired, I'll be getting the door replaced. it's much more economical to replace the door which will cost less than than £100 I will be fitting it, and yes I'll likely be here to ask for people's help so don't come to be sarcastic when the time comes for me to do the door replacement.

Attachments

• IMG_20200810_211509.jpg
    IMG_20200810_211509.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_20200810_211602.jpg
    IMG_20200810_211602.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_20200810_211252.jpg
    IMG_20200810_211252.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 173
How does it get more dangerous by the day ??

Every day there is something else wrong with this car!

Will you quit with your sarcastic comments and also stop throwing around wild false accusations, you never back yourself up or if explain yourself when I ask you too

No rear brakes, faulty wheel bearing and now leaking exhaust in engine bay!

At one point there was a very strong bleach smell that would hurt my eyes when the heater/cooling blowers were turned on , that was because the exhaust Flexi was bad and I clamped on a new one and no longer are fumes present inside the car.

Yes, your exhaust was leaking, you should of taken it to a garage!

I could back up and drive into someone ? No I'm not that careless with my driving.

When you black out while driving, you will not have control over the car and can crash and injure/kill someone!

In fact only about a week ago some old careless guy backed out and hit my car door . I won't be getting it repaired, I'll be getting the door replaced. it's much more economical to replace the door which will cost less than than £100 I will be fitting it, and yes I'll likely be here to ask for people's help so don't come to be sarcastic when the time comes for me to do the door replacement.

Also, don't you ever clean the car??

Andy

I’ve never fitted an after market flexy pipe but I have replaced two dealer ones.....both on Kia’s coincidentally and the flange bolts were ferociously tight.
From your description it sounds like U bolts were used and one of them has now fractured and its time for a replacement.
Fitting a new door is a two man job due to the surprising weight - I have done it myself with the aid of a well padded trolley jack though, but I don't recommend it!

Firstly i believe your car is a 57 plate manual hatchback and if thats the case it doesn't have a DPF.
Secondly if you are changing a door on the front you MUST first remove the door module as this is programmed to the car and fit this to replacement door
otherwise the car will deadlock itself but will not be able to reopen that door.

Sponsored Links
Back