Car handbrake cable loose where it attaches to the brake caliper and not holding the car. video inc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Car - Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 cdti 120 bhp. due an MOT in about 8 weeks.

On one side the handbrake cable when it is attached locks up the wheel and causes the brakes to overheat, so it is left disconnected for now.
On the other side it is now not holding either, I took wheel off today and discovered that the handbrake cable where it attaches onto the caliper sits loosely and I can easily pull it in and out with my fingers.
here is a video.

any ideas as to why it is so loose in the caliper are much appreciated. thanks

Sponsored Links
I told you before, this heap should not be on the road due to bad brakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forget about you but you are putting other people's lives in danger by you driving this heap.

GET IT OFF THE ROAD!

Andy

The rear cable between both cables is a single cable. If you have disconnected the cable on one side, it will be loose/will not work on the other side. If one caliper is sticking on with the cable connected, it’s because something is not releasing. You probably need to fit a new rear handbrake cable and you may also need a caliper but try the cable first. Can you operate the sticky caliper lever with your hand and does it move freely back? If not, it’s the caliper. Until you have done this and can show a picture of the new cable fitted, I won’t be giving you any further advice on this car that aids you driving it on the road. Sorry, but Andy is right - if you can’t fix it, get it off the road. You are breaking the law and endangering others by knowingly driving a vehicle on the road with faulty brakes.

Last edited:
The lever that the cable locates to.....it’s stuck so get some pliers and see if you can yank the lever right back to its stop - it won’t perform any other way.
I suspect you need a replacement caliper here.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Take it all apart.

Take both handbrake cables off and check the steel cable for forwards/backwards movement. If it needs lubrication, hold the cable vertical, get a some diesel and use an eye dropper or such to dab the cable so the diesel runs down inside the bowden.

Take the external mechanism for the handbrake off the caliper, clean and grease it. While the parts are removed, check the handbrake spindle in the caliper is working.

Sorry, but Andy is right - if you can’t fix it, get it off the road. You are breaking the law and endangering others by knowingly driving a vehicle on the road with faulty brakes.

As above.

If you don't understand brakes, don't attempt to fix this. Either get it professionally fixed or keep it off the road until you've learnt what you need to know and fixed it.

You've just disabled your handbrake by disconnecting the faulty side without appreciating what you're doing. What else are you going to disconnect without knowing the consequences?

Last edited:
Take both handbrake cables off and check the steel cable for forwards/backwards movement. If it needs lubrication, hold the cable vertical, get a some diesel and use an eye dropper or such to dab the cable so the diesel runs down inside the bowden.
Only if you really can’t get or can’t afford a new one. Don’t mess about, You can probably get a new one for less than £20.

I told you before, this heap should not be on the road due to bad brakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forget about you but you are putting other people's lives in danger by you driving this heap.

GET IT OFF THE ROAD!

Andy

What is your problem or just a troll ? every thread I post you only enter it knowingly that you are going to spam and bring negativity, so again I say to you, stay away because that is all you intend to do, you never offer any advice but rather negativity and sarcasm. I welcome you to my threads if you are prepared to help but you obviously aren't.

Wait, when did you tell me my car has bad brakes ? The brake discs and brake pads on the front and rear are new they do a brilliant job at stopping the car, the issue here is the handbrake. the car is fine being on the road without working handbrake as I use extreme caution, I do not currently park anywhere with the car on a hill or incline and I leave it in gear when I park there is no problem with the car being on the road and no danger of it rolling as it is always kept on level ground and in gear.

As above.

If you don't understand brakes, don't attempt to fix this. Either get it professionally fixed or keep it off the road until you've learnt what you need to know and fixed it.

You've just disabled your handbrake by disconnecting the faulty side without appreciating what you're doing. What else are you going to disconnect without knowing the consequences?

The brake discs and brake pads on the front and rear are new they do a brilliant job at stopping the car, the issue here is the handbrake. the car is fine being on the road without working handbrake as I use extreme caution, I do not currently park anywhere with the car on a hill or incline and I leave it in gear when I park there is no problem with the car being on the road and no danger of it rolling as it is always kept on level ground and in gear.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...lding-the-car-video-inc.550336/#ixzz6UF8NV8ha

What is your problem or just a troll ? every thread I post you only enter it knowingly that you are going to spam and bring negativity, so again I say to you, stay away because that is all you intend to do, you never offer any advice but rather negativity and sarcasm. I welcome you to my threads if you are prepared to help but you obviously aren't.

Wait, when did you tell me my car has bad brakes ? The brake discs and brake pads on the front and rear are new they do a brilliant job at stopping the car, the issue here is the handbrake. the car is fine being on the road without working handbrake as I use extreme caution, I do not currently park anywhere with the car on a hill or incline and I leave it in gear when I park there is no problem with the car being on the road and no danger of it rolling as it is always kept on level ground and in gear.

Well, it would be an MOT failure and your car is technically unroadworthy.

Take it all apart.

Take the external mechanism for the handbrake off the caliper, clean and grease it. While the parts are removed, check the handbrake spindle in the caliper is working.

Thank you !!
A decent answer to my question. ( to everyone else the front and rear discs and pads are all fairly new I replaced them 6 months ago and they do a brilliant job stopping the car, I never park of a incline and leave car in gear when it is parked so I see no problem atm driving my car )

Yes the cables seem to move back and forth without a problem. the handbrake spindle where the cable slots into doesn't seem to be moving maybe it needs spraying with wd40 or something and work it loose ? I replaced the calipers when I did the discs and pads so they are only a few months old.

the thing is with these vectras, I am told they are self adjusting cables and I hear mnixed replies as to whether or not they can be adjusted.

The brake discs and brake pads on the front and rear are new they do a brilliant job at stopping the car, the issue here is the handbrake. the car is fine being on the road without working handbrake as I use extreme caution, I do not currently park anywhere with the car on a hill or incline and I leave it in gear when I park there is no problem with the car being on the road and no danger of it rolling as it is always kept on level ground and in gear.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...lding-the-car-video-inc.550336/#ixzz6UF8NV8ha
My concern is that you don't seem to appreciate the implications of disconnecting one side of the handbrake cable, and that in turn makes me very concerned as to your understanding of how car brakes work and therefore what else you might disconnect in your attempts to fix the car whilst keeping it mobile.

Secondly, it is not legal to drive a car without a working handbrake.

Well, it would be an MOT failure and your car is technically unroadworthy.

he is telling me the brakes are bad, urm no they are not. the stopping brakes are 100 % good. the issue is the handbrake and for now I only never park of level surfaces and in gear. yes it would be MOT failure which is why I am asking for help how to fix it as mot due in 8 weeks

he is telling me the brakes are bad, urm no they are not. the stopping brakes are 100 % good. the issue is the handbrake and for now I only never park of level surfaces and in gear. yes it would be MOT failure which is why I am asking for help how to fix it as mot due in 8 weeks

Yes, I understand what you are saying, but it's an offence to knowingly drive an unroadworthy vehicle. I appreciate your desire to get it fixed soonest and hopefully you'll be able to do that.

My concern is that you don't seem to appreciate the implications of disconnecting one side of the handbrake cable, and that in turn makes me very concerned as to your understanding of how car brakes work and therefore what else you might disconnect in your attempts to fix the car whilst keeping it mobile.

Secondly, it is not legal to drive a car without a working handbrake.

Oh my God !!

Can You offer me some advice please as it is what I am asking for and stop criticising me, thank you.

After I disconnected the cable on the opposite side because the wheel would lock and overheat the brakes the handbrake worked on the opposite side for a while. now it doesn't. so after disconnecting the cable on the other side it didn't affect the other cable at least not until a few month after according to what you say about it affecting other side.

A bit of help to what my first steps to correcting this would be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back