Something else I am unsure about re. the repair work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The structural engineer had written in his report the crack caused by the subsidence in the wall should have the mortar raked out along the crack and fresh mortar put in. I emailed the builders about this during the time they were doing the work asking for it to be done, but when they came back the second time they said that removing the old mortar would bring the wall down (where they had already inserted the bars. ) Instead they put mortar over the crack. The crack is no longer visible but I still feel uneasy. They said that the crack was still there (which obviously I knew) and that the fresh mortar was cosmetic. I enclose photos (one before the work was done and the other afterwards-could take a better one tomorrow when it's light)and would appreciate any comments. Should I get them to come back and rake out the mortar along the crack and out new mortar in or just leave it as it is with a new layer of mortar over the old?

Attachments

• original crack.jpg
    original crack.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 346
  • part of pointed crack.jpg
    part of pointed crack.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 315
Sponsored Links
veryconfused8888, good evening.

If you are confused, so am I?

So you have been informed that your Property is suffering from"Subsidence?"

OK,

Basics are that, the Vertical Downward Movement of the Foundations causes Subsidence, OK so far?
What has occasioned the Foundations to move vertically downwards? Leaking Drains? Shrinkable Clay [ mostly in the London area? ] peat? Mine workings?

Has your Structural Engineer stated what the Causation is / was? Was a CCTV survey of the drains undertaken?? Is Subsidence "Commmon" where you live??

The images posted appear to show a window to window "CRACK" BUT? the lower window does not appear to have a crack running to ground level [where the Foundations are ---That have [allegedly] Subsided.]

By now I think you may suspect I am just a wee tad Cynical as regards the prognosis of Subsidence as promulgated by your Structural Engineer? If indeed your property is suffering from "Subsidence" ?? where is the classic crack from ground level up to the lower window???

Given Subsidence is as stated above? how does Subsidence "jump" unseen [ no crack ] from ground level to the lower window??

Sorry but I do not believe your Property is suffering from Subsidence?

I think from the images posted that your property is suffering from wood rot???

On the images posted the lower window appears to have a timber Lintel?

I think that the timber lintel is decaying, this has caused the crack between the two above ground windows?

Any chance of more external Images of the elevation? especially between the lower window and the ground level?

Lets see what the board thinks.

Ken

I'd say that the crack above the window is down to the lintel above the window failing (you've posted the same picture in a previous thread) not to subsidance, and I'll also say the builders are shysters. The surveyor should have said that the mortar along the line of the crack should be raked out, "and then repointed".

But did you see them putting the helical bars in, because if they have been fitted, then there's no way whatsoever that the wall would fall down by racking out the mortar along the crack. I'd be inclined to dig out the mortar at the end of the bars, and make sure they've been fitted. They've also fitted the bars directly above each other, but they would normally be fitted in the centre of the crack, so they'd be stepped as they moved up the line of the crack.

Thank you for your replies.
Ken-the drains were leaking (a survey was done of them) and they were repaired. Their leaking was said by the structural engineer to have caused the subsidence. There is no crack from the ground to the lower window (I enclose a photo) and never has been. The lintel is made of concrete.
Doggit-the structural engineer said that the mortar along the crack should be raked out and repointed in his report. I said this to the builders by email but when they came, they said the wall would fall down if it was done. They did put the helical bars in-I took photos of the bars in the wall. They were in overnight for the resin to dry and then the builders pointed over them in the morning-I watched this being done as I wanted to be sure that the bars remained in position. I also enclose a photo of the end of the lintel with the crack-it has some mortar on it but is visible.

Attachments

• WP_000371.jpg
    WP_000371.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 276
  • WP_000373.jpg
    WP_000373.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 249
Sponsored Links
As I said earlier, you're builders are shysters. The've at least put the helical bars in, so the wall couldn't fall down, so telling you it could, either suggests they haven't done the job properly/adequately, or it's just complete and utter bullshyte. So if the SE said rake and repoint, then why did the builders ignore him. And if they've used the correct resin for the helical bars, it would have gone off within 30 minutes, so it begs the question if they've done it properly. You set the special mortar in about 15mm deep, and then repoint over it. See if you can dig into that mortar; if you can, then it's ordinary sand and cement. The proper stuff thay you get with the helical bars can't be dug into.

veryconfused8888, Good evening again.

Several things, some of which I fear you may not like?

1/. Subsidence? NO! your Property is NOT suffering from Subsidence

OK some Structural Engineer has [allegedly] told you that.
A/. External wall cracking, from the ground floor window lintel, to the "Sill" of a first floor window is "Subsidence?"
B/. To re-iterate from my first post, "Subsidence" is the Vertical Downward movement of the foundations"
C/. So far so good? or is it?
D/. If your property were to have been suffering from "Subsidence" why is there no cracking from ground level, in the area of wall nearest to where the Structural Engineer states the Foundations have "Moved?"
E/. As above, No indication of cracking from Ground level [the nearest area to the --so called -- Foundation movement ---Subsidence-- ] to the lintel on the ground floor window, some 2.0m -2.5.m above ground ?

2/. Did this Structural Engineer suggest you use the building firm you employed?? [Just asking]

3/. Is this an Insurance Claim?

4/. Now for what from the images posted appears to be the real source of your problem??
A/. Is the window "New" meaning fitted in the last few Months?
B/. If so? why so much Mortar "Smeared" all over the Lintel?

4/. The lintel??
A/. are you absolutely positive it it is Concrete? it is a long time since I have seen a red painted Concrete lintel??
B/. Suggest you have or get absolute proof that the Lintel is Concrete, or timber?

5/. The most likely "Causation" of your Problem?
A/. Your lintel, the left hand side is or has failed, your property is NOT suffering from Subsidence.
B/. There is a very high probability that when fitting the "New Window" the lintel [which Looks as if it is timber] had failed due to wood rot or similar, that from images posted is the problem.

Ken

Hi ken, thank you for your reply. I will answer your questions in order.
2. No, I found the building firm myself.
3. I claimed insurance for the drain repair but not for the wall repair.
4. Yes, the window was fitted as part of the repair work as my old window was rotting.
5. Yes, the lintel is definitely concrete-I have examined it. I don't know why the builders smeared mortar over half of the lintel. This wasn't discussed as part of the work they would be doing and it looks as if it is concealing something, even though it isn't. (I enclose a photo of the lintel without the mortar on it and with the old window.) The crack on the far left hand side of the lintel has been there for a number of years.

Attachments

• cracked lintel and old window.jpg
    cracked lintel and old window.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 256
The cracked mortar should have been raked out and repointed. Any cracked bricks should have been replaced.

Your engineer is not doing his job, as well as the builders.

When an engineer is overseeing work, he should be checking and ensuring that it is done in full accordance with his specification, and any deviations are agreed by him in writing. Then, when it is done he checks completion and if the works have been completed satisfactorily, then and only then does he issue a completion certificate. He certifies the works. The certificate is given to the client, and the builder. The builder then presents his invoice with a copy of the certificate as proof that money is due for the work being completed in full accordance with the specification.

Then, and only then can the builders be paid.

The engineer said in his report that the mortar should be raked out and repointed and that any cracked bricks should be replaced, but they just put new mortar over the old along the crack. When they removed the mortar along the lines where they subsequently put the bars, the old mortar was very tough and hard to remove. They broke one of their mortar removing tools on it, so maybe thought that the mortar along the crack would be as resistant?. I have emailed them to say I want them to come and rake out the old mortar and put in new and to replace the lintel but have had no reply yet.

I called the CAB today and they are passing my complaints about the repair work to Trading Standards.

veryconfused8888, good evening [yet again]

Smart move because you may??? have several problems. The T/S department may assist?-- lay it on thick, possibly consider some or all of the previous posts and the points below??? Your call??

A/. The Diagnosis of so called "Subsidence" by the Structural Engineer may be that he [She] has exposed you to un-needed expense + [and here is the Kicker] Your Property is now or will be "Flagged" as having the "Dreaded" Subsidence, making selling at times a wee bit of a problem.

B/. Your "Builder" appears to be as has been posted a right "Wally"

C/. I do not think that it has been mentioned in this post so far that the fitting of the window is bluntly best described as being "poor to atrocious, mortar smeared all over the place, especially at lintel level, rain water ingress will ensue

As an aside, I for one would be very interested in any second opinion by an eyes on as the your S/Engineers diagnosis of Subsidence?

Good luck, please come back and tell the board of developments??

Ken.

The builders are coming here tomorrow to discuss the work. I also got an email today from the head of the firm asking why I had contacted TS, and that they would come and make good the work (for which I would probably have to pay yet more money). He wrote that they had filled in the crack, when in reality they only plastered mortar over it without raking the old mortar out. He also said that I didn't need a new lintel and that they had wanted to save me money by telling me this. However, as there is a possibility of lintel failure, I want a new one installing. I don't know why they didn't mention repointing the crack and replacing any broken bricks before starting the work. They may say that I should have told them at the beginning that I wanted this doing instead of telling them after they had started the work, but as they were quick to point out before starting that I needed the gutters cleaning and some loose slates replacing, they should have been aware of the work needed to sort out the crack-it was in the structural engineer's report.

Well call me cynical, but I still think they're shysters. You called TS because you were getting the run around. You don't get a dog, and bark yourself, and you should show the builders the job, and get a schedule of works, not a discussion asking you want you want. And I'd hate to think that the boss is expecting a good standard of work from the guys he sends in to do the work, because that really would be cynicalof me.

veryconfused8888, good evening.

Suggest [STRONGLY] that you do [NOT] agree to the meeting with the Builder until you get T/S there at the same time?? a joint meeting, using the notes you now have from the posts on the board.

Looks as if the Boss of the Company is shall I call it panicking? keep him on the boil but get T/S there at the same time.

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back