Something else I am unsure about re. the repair work

The structural engineer is a key party in these situations. Depending on his report and his sign off of the work, it can be be used to support the client or the builder.

You need to be very clear of exactly what you are complaining about, and it is normally the professional specifier that determines what is correct or not. He should be involved.

Sponsored Links
I have a suspicion, that the SE did the initial report on behalf of the insurance company, then possibly due to the excess, the OP arranged the work himself. Hence the disparity betweeen the OP, and the engineers comments, and no oversight on his part.

He said that the work looked like 'crap' on account of the mortar on the lintel and said to me to look at how neat the work on my neighbours' houses was in comparison. I got the impression that ha wasn't too impressed by the builders.
I also noticed on the invoice that the builders charged me for the replacement blade on their mortar removing device as the first one broke while they were using it. Is this standard practice?

Sponsored Links
Yesterday evening I saw that there are several hairline cracks and one wider crack under the new window. Am at panic stations as am sure that there were no cracks there before. I enclose a photo. I took off a bit of the rendering over the mortar at one point to see if the crack was underneath it (the grey line) and it was.

Attachments

• WP_000376.jpg
    WP_000376.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 88

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back