Sony KDL-43W755 C: Recording Freeview and Freesat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Bush Freesat recorder connected to the Sony at the moment.
I would like to be able to connect a Freeview separate recorder also.
I find the user manual a bit "jargonish" on how to do this!
Would be grateful for simple instructions on "what to connect to what"
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
freeveiw needs an aeriel in and use an output to match the tv usb/scart/hdmi ??

You need a working UHF TV aerial for Freeview. The TV has an aerial input so could be used to check one works. If not you need one installed.

Your TV is able to record onto an attached USB hard disk drive. That may allow an extra TV channel to record when there's a clash affecting the freesat box? (Except that with You View enabled on the TV that feature appears to be disabled, according to Sony's footnote).

A Freeview Play recorder (the latest incarnation of the spec, replacing You View) will connect to the UHF TV aerial and have a hdmi cable connected to the TV in the same way as the Goodmans freesat box... The TV is listed as having four hdmi inputs... unless you are using a really old freesat box with SCART cables? In which case it may be time to upgrade that box?
Older Freeview recorders will also work in the same manner.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/...s-lcd-tvs-android-/kdl-43w755c/specifications

Sponsored Links
Have discovered a two way scart switch box in my cupboard, would this not do the job?

Have discovered a two way scart switch box in my cupboard, would this not do the job?
No, because the Freeview recorder only records from the internal tuner supplied by the aerial input. There is no feature to record from a SCART socket or any other AV socket.

If you want to record from a video level source then you want a DVD recorder or DVD/Hard-drive recorder with a Line In feature.

If you can't or don't want to install an aerial then loan your Freeview recorder to a friend with a working aerial feed and get them to record it for you. Once the box is back connected to your TV then you'll be able to play it back. You don't need an aerial connected for playback, only for reception.

I am very, very sorry, I should have mentioned that the Sony has a Dish and an aerial connection.

Your TV is HD capable. SCART is SD only. Many PVRs nowadays don't have scart outputs anyway.

Sound like you need the help of family, friends or neighbours locally to walk you through the options available to you?

Beware that the USB recording feature may not be available to you if the Sony footnote is correct and you have You View enabled for 'backward epg' catchup TV via the internet on the TV. Many now use the catchup TV services in place of recording things? OK for the BBC but other broadcasters have too many ads for my liking or demand a subscription. Your mileage may vary.

Sorry, I hadn't looked behind, I was assuming it had the same connectors as an older model I have.
The present Freesat box is connected via an HDMI socket, I will read the manual first in future!

Presuming you get a HD-capable Freeview recorder, then your hook up is simple.

Yottie.jpg

The Freesat recorder is already connected. You said so in your opening post.

The Freeview recorder requires the TV aerial cable moving from the TV to the RF IN on the recorder box. I'd recommend adding a fly lead from the recorder box RF OUT to the TV RF IN. This way you'll still be able to watch Freeview on the Sony independently of the Freeview recorder being in standby or recording two or more channels.

You'll also hook up a HDMI cable from the Freeview recorder to one of the unused HDMI inputs on the TV.

That's all you need unless - for some bizarre reason - you decide to use a non-HD Freeview recorder with only a SCART connection.

Thanks for a great, most helpful, reply.
The recorder is on its way.
(hope I picked the right one!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back