Sorry - Another damp chimney!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, but I have searched high and low around the forums and I can't find any reference to my particular issue.

Basically We have a disused chimney in the sitting room on the ground floor, the chimney breast in the floor above has been removed and it looks to me as though the chimney has just been boarded up at 1st floor floor level. There are large damp patches either side of the chimney, spreading round onto the outside wall, however the outside wall inside the chimney and the front of the chimney breast itself is dry.

I removed the obviously 'blown' plaster around the really damp patches to reveal visibly wet cement / render. After a few days the cement has already started to dry, and is now more or less dry to the touch - I don't know if this is relevant, but it might be a pointer to a solution.

Would it be worth my while putting a vent near the top of the remaining chimney venting either into the room (would keep the heat in, but allow air to circulate??) or out of the external wall (chillier I should imagine??). Or should I just get the whole thing damp coursed?

The damp seems to manifest itself around the entrance to the cavity, rather than coming up from below, but this may be a false lead...

Any sane suggestions gratefully received.

Please excuse sideways photos...

[/img]

Sponsored Links
The c/breast finishes in the ceiling/floor above?

You have a solid wall and floor?

Is the outside rendered or badly pointed or have cracks?

Is the ground level below your DPC or above it?

Have you had the flue swept, or even looked up it?

Do you have a chimney stack above the roof?

Over the last couple of months similar questions have been asked - have you read them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back