Sorry if Dumb query - changed switch, same wiring and..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi one of these days I will stop looking at things....

I have a double switch - left button turns on ceiling lights (and works currently as expected), and right button on the switch turns on an outside light. No other switches in the house to change these lights.

Everything perfect until yes... I took it off to look. I was sure I had put it back exactly as before, but outside light only works now if left button/ceiling button is set to on.

Both commons are as before connected with a red cable to each other.
Two blacks are connected outside of the switch - not touched by me.
Two earths are connected as before, not touched by me.

The same single cables go to each L1 as before.

I did read this might be a broken wire on another thread - but if that was the case why would the outside light switch work at all?

all thoughts most welcome :)

Sponsored Links
Swop the single red wire and the yellow wire around in the left hand switch, so you have the link and the red in the C terminal and yellow in the L1.

Where did the yellow come from? You didn't mention that.

On ceiling switch -

Change over the Red in L1 and the Yellow.
Leave the link where it is.

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for reply - funny I was just thinking of swapping those two around, but I was so sure I had wired it exactly the way I first saw.... all sorted.

Better I ask than play :)

cheers!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back