Sorting a stair bulkhead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're slowly sorting our house bit by bit. The previous owners had done a nice job superficially, but one room that had been fairly neglected was the box room. Cheap bookcases were fitted in a weird arrangement, and I'm determined to convert the space into a proper library but after pulling out the shelves I've got the bulkhead to contend with.

My main question is, what can I take out? I understand the bulkhead itself is necessary to give the stairs adequate headroom, but is the pictured wooden frame just to support a previous box? Is any of it necessary? Otherwise I will remove it and attempt to make a better job of integrating the bulkhead into the design.

I'm going to have to do a tiny plastering job too as the bookcases were hiding some damage.

I'd also be interested to know if anyone has had a good cosmetic result integrating a bulkhead into their space. It's just very ugly at the moment and not as functional as it could be.

Cheers in advance for any advice/tips.

Attachments

• IMG_20210628_211812372.jpg
    IMG_20210628_211812372.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 987
  • IMG_20210626_194902424.jpg
    IMG_20210626_194902424.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 1,580
Sponsored Links
Is that any clearer? It's a tiny room and currently filled to the brim with stuff.

Sponsored Links
Ahh I get it now, the white things that look like stair treads are actually not proper steps. So you can remove the weird boxing bit at the top:

safe.jpg

This assumes the radiator is not being relocated? If it is you can remove part of the partition it's fixed to and that gives you a few more options. As for how you finish it that's up to you, is this the wall you're building your new shelves on? Some people build a bed over it or just have a big flat shelf, a house I lived in effectively built a large wardrobe with partition walls over it but the doors were full height (set in front of the bukkhead) so it didn't look odd.

6883_3122114_IMG_05_0000_max_656x437.jpg

full
full

The options are endless: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...SbsAKHa4mB5sQ_AUoAnoECAEQBQ&biw=1920&bih=1058

Thanks for the reply. Yes, they're faux stairs which I assume were used for getting books off the top shelves.

I'm considering relocating the radiator to the back wall as it's in a rather awkward position at present. It's not something I've done before, so it would be a toss up between DIY and just bite the bullet and get a plumber in.

Yeah I'd like to do shelves along that wall, extending potentially to above the door as well. If I could integrate the bulkhead into the design that would be ideal. I think it's going to take some creative thinking. Thanks for the suggestions.

img_20210606_104145350.jpg

This was the old naff bookcase. I realize I missed out putting an update on here. It wasn't a perfect project but I'm quite pleased how it turned out. This was the finished (almost) project.

img_20221003_2306123018404236125272028948.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back