Sound insulation between floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Im converting a house into flats and need a solution to soundproofing between floors. Would prefer to work on the downstairs ceiling than lift floorboards but im open to whatever the best option would be to cut out noise from above. Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
the best way or easy way is to pull up floorboards as this is very similiar to laying insulation in loft and ensuring to fill whole space which prevents cold spots but then also stops the heat from rising from one level to the other hope this helps rich.

the best way or easy way is to pull up floorboards as this is very similiar to laying insulation in loft and ensuring to fill whole space which prevents cold spots but then also stops the heat from rising from one level to the other hope this helps rich.
There's a lot more to it than packing the void with insulation. http://www.buildingcontrol-ni.com/archive/technical/sound_conversions.pdf Frankly not being familiar with the Irish regs myself its not very clear to me what parts of that document applies to separating floors between flats.

some good info there to digest. I have plenty of head hight to work with on the basement flat and would like to eliminate most of the foot fall noise from above as possible. Most importantly for me is a good job done right and the link fulfils that . would like to hear how other people in the real world tackled the problem too.

Sponsored Links
I am intending to pull in Knauf Acoustic Joist Roll from above by lifting boards at the ends of each room and supplemented with expanding foam for awkward bits however I believe the best way to do it involves thin insulation placed over the joist and under the floorboards which helps prevent the transmission of sound from the floor surface (plus insulation between joists and, ideally, no air gaps).

As you are dividing up the property I expect your plans will need to be approved by your local BC and/or done to some kind of formal standard.

If anyone can recommend any other products/methods I would also like to hear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back