sound proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have just moved into a ground floor flat with 1 flat about above me i can hear everything comming from upstairs people talking arguing and even going to the loo which is disturbing i was wondering if i took the plaster board off and put loft insulation up and re boarded and plastered would this cut down on the noise as my flat is not soundproofed although there is concrete between me and the people above there is a good enough space between the concrete and my plaster ceiling could anyone please advise?

Sponsored Links
In addition to mineral wool to absorb sound, you can put the new plasterboard up on resilient bars. For even better results, you can use 2 layers of Soundbloc plasterboard. You probably need to seal the edges with intumescent acoustic sealer, as the ceiling is usually a fire barrier between flats.

Hi,

You may already have resolved your prob, but if not I suggest that you use the more dense rockwool, which is billed as having acoustic benefits. Ordinary loft insulation does not have any soundproofing credentials, only providing heat insulation.

Good luck,

Roxy

Ordinary loft insulation does not have any soundproofing credentials, only providing heat insulation.
Acoustic grade mineral wool is sold at a premium. Its chief characteristic, compared to loft insulation, is that it is heavier. I can be argued that the same mass of loft insulation will be as effective as acoustic grade insulation, just thicker.

That said, I think one of the standard solutions uses 100 mm of acoustic grade mineral wool above two layers of 12.5 mm acoustic grade plasterboard (e.g. Gyproc Soundbloc) suspended on resilient bars.

Although not applicable here, limiting the mineral wool to 100 mm between floor joists leaves a service cavity above for wiring and plumbing to run at least 50 mm below the floor above.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back