Sound proof in house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have currently bought a new build property only 4 years old. Its is a brick structure then plasterboard walls inside. The walls seem like paper, I can hear the neighbours turn their light switches on and off. Is this right or has the walls not been sound proofed properly ?

Sponsored Links
Hi all. I've recently taking old horse hair plaster of a a wAll on the stair case. I've hacked all the joints out ready to point back up anyway my question is what is the best way for me to stop notice penetrating through as can here noice from next door. I've heard of
Parging plaster wanting to no your views ?

If this is an old wall separating two houses, it is likely to be built with lime mortar. I would at least point it with sharp sand and cement to seal all cracks against fire. Actually happened to us, years ago (1958?). During a Sunday lunchtime a Fireman knocked on the door and said they were attending a fire next door and could they inspect our hall wall. There was a minute amount of smoke coming through a hair width crack. When we went outside there were masses of people viewing the fun and games.
Frank

Sponsored Links
Hi yea it's a separating wall between two houses. I am going to point all joist holes etc and need to dub it out with a scratch coat to get the wall level so I can put sound proof board to it, but wanting to no if it would be better to put the parging on the wall before I dub it out any in put is welcomed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back