Sound Proof Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone help please before i lose my mind. I live in a semi-detached house and the dividing wall between next door is really thin and i can hear everything from them going to toilet to opening and closing drawers. The female is barking mad and wakes us up in the early hours arguing and carrying on with her partner which i have had to ring the police on a couple of occassion's. She seems to have an ocd with hoovering which gets right on my t**s as she will hoover 5 times a day.

Is there anyway that i can sound proof the dividing wall and if so whats the best method?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Apologies as i never stated. The dividing wall is brick thats been skimmed.

When she is hoovering, if you put your head down near the skirting board upstairs, can you hear it more clearly? You could have holes in the party wall between the floors. A parge coat can seal gaps. If your joists run front-to-back, you won't have good access to the wall. I wonder if you can cover some plywood in polythene and temporarily put it against the joist next to the wall and ram soundcoat into the gap to seal the wall? You'd need to remove the skirting boards to join up with the wall plaster.

Once any gaps are sealed, a standard solution is to put up two layers of Soundbloc plasterboard on resilient bars mounted horizontally on vertical battens screwed to the wall. Seal the edges with acoustic sealant. Use 25mm acoustic mineral wool behind the plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
I have the same problem with my neighbors. I am planning to soundproof my ceiling too.

I was planning on using resilient channel and drywall for the same. Then I heard of this product called quietrock. I was told that with some quiet glue and a layer of quietrock I should get enough soundproofing.

JoanaC, it's called SPAM when you work for a company and post as if you are a consumer of the product.

I've recently nocked a load of old plaster of my stair case wall. What would be the best sulution to stop notice penetrating through. Any suggestions welcome ?

Put plaster back on again? Also not sure why you replied to such an old thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back