Sound proofing airing cupboard

Tjs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I have just recently had a combi boiler installed in the up stairs airing cupboard, I am just wondering if there is certain sound proof blocks you could get hold of at a decent price, if anyone could post a link that would be great. The boiler is just a tad noisy when starting up. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yeah thanks andy funny man!! Lol. Thanks foxhole ill try that.

Sponsored Links
I' thinking that you want to insulate for sound and not heat. You don't want the airing cupboard to cook inside... Peg board (hardboard full of holes) lining the cupbaord, mounted on battens could create a baffle for the sound but allow the air to circulate and the cupboard to keep cool.

Otherwise, most thermal insulation will keep the sound down - fibreglass, Celotex, fibleboard, egg boxes... (I new a sound studio lined with egg trays...).

Seal around and under the door first with draft excluder. If that's not good enough, stick some old carpet underlay inside the door.

you need to check if the sound is mainly airborne or structurally transmitted
you could surround it with quilts and such to see how much difference insulation will give before spending a fortune on the correct stuff
it may be something simple like the pump need rubber mountings or some other physical separation from the structure

if the existing door is a lightwight thin wooden door, or a cheap hollow one, made of air with a thin wrapping of ply or hardboard, swap it for a fire door. The extra weight and density means they are very good for deadening sound. They are available flush or panelled. Adding draught strip or furry pile strip will blot sound getting round the edges.

The boiler is just a tad noisy when starting up. Thanks.
Might be a idea to get a gas engineer to check everything is working correctly, I'm not Gas Safe so can't advise but I do know the timing of the ignition slightly delayed or pressure switch etc can do this. You could ask on the plumbing section for further advice.

The boiler is just a tad noisy when starting up. Thanks.
Might be a idea to get a gas engineer to check everything is working correctly, I'm not Gas Safe so can't advise but I do know the timing of the ignition slightly delayed or pressure switch etc can do this. You could ask on the plumbing section for further advice.

It ok, it's a brand new boiler, a friends one is exactly the same. Mainly when the boiler first starts up. U kinda get used to the noise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back