Sound proofing... what really works?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all...

We had a new bathroom built a while back and the builder put up a stud wall to steal some space from one of the bedrooms to make the room. The shower pipes now run through the stud wall and when the shower is on it creates an almost unbeleivable noise in that bedroom.

So it seems that the builder didn't insulate the stud wall or pack the pipes much to my annoyance... now that we have a new baby in the noisy bedroom it is almost like we wasted the time and money building the bathroom as we can't use the shower when she is in her room and sleeping.

In the bedroom on the partition wall there is only a 2m x 2m square of wall that is exposed whilst the rest is covered by built in wardrobes and shelving units.

I wanted to know if it would be worth putting up some soundproofing boards in the exposed part of the wall rather than taking down part of the wall, insulating and then having to rebuild.

What should I consider and realistically what benefit am I really likely to get from putting up the soundproofing boards in this way? I do have about 100mm to play with BTW.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The best way to deal with noise is to stop it at source (like a gag for the wife :D ) if you look at cars they put the sound absorbing felt in the engine bay to stop the noise transmitting into the bodywork.

You would be better trying to stop the noise being transmitted into the stud wall if you can by insulating the pipes as much as possible from the structure.

Indeed sounds to me like the pipes are fixed against the plasterboard of the bedroom or packed up against it which is transmitting the vibrations from the waterflow.

Youll need to float the pipes and pack the wall with rockwool and line with soundbloc sometihng like that.

good luck if youve just had it all decorated, get him back to explain why it's so noisy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back