Stud partition needs superb sound proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have taken apart a bathroom which is between two bedrooms.
Only the plasterboard on the bedroom sides of the bathroom remains.
The bathroom is being refurbed.

I want to put sound insulation into the stud partition so that nothing of the bathroom can be heard in the bedrooms.

What insulation material ?
How deep the partition ?

Thank you

Regards

Ke z

Sponsored Links
Fill the space between the studs with rockwool slabs and put 2 layers of 12.5mm plasterboard on one side of the studs, and 15mm plasterboard on the other.

If you want the ultimate and have the space, go for a double stud wall.

Slabs and double plasterboard on the bedroom side as suggested above, then build another stud wall (which most importantly doesn't touch the original one) on the bathroom side, with insulation slabs and double plasterboard again.

Then you have to start worrying about flanking noise - noise travelling down into the floor void, underneath your super stud wall and up into the bedrooms. Similarly over the top through the ceiling and even the side walls around your new one.

It gets very complicated (and expensive) when you want to go to "superb" levels as you put it, so I think you'll find the more reasonable suggestions above will be more than adequate :)

Sponsored Links
Sound is like water; it will find a way through if there is a weakness.
You could build your partition with 15 layers of plasterboard, but the sound will sneak along the floor and adjoining walls.

Sound is like water; it will find a way through if there is a weakness.
You could build your partition with 15 layers of plasterboard, but the sound will sneak along the floor and adjoining walls.

I suspect not, the floor joists will have bottomed out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back