Soundbar HDMI ARC Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased a Panasonic SC-HTB688EBK 3.1 Sound bar and subwoofer from Currys just over a week ago. I had it connected to my Phillips Smart TV via the ARC HDMI Port and it worked brilliantly. I even setup the Sky Q remote control to allow me to just have a one remote setup and use the Sky remote for everything - to turn the Sky Q box on which subsequently turned on the TV and the Soundbar and turn it all off by pressing and holding the Sky Q remote power button to turn off the TV & Soundbar.

All worked great, until this morning when I turned on th TV to watch the news whilst having my breakfast - the sound stopped coming out of the sound bar after 2 or 3 seconds and did not return. The sound bar was on as per usual and the remote still indicated that it was controlling the soundbar as the lights flicker as usual when adjusting the volume. Switched sources on soundbar back and forth, but still no sound.

Several on - offs and still non the wiser so used Phillips TV remote to go into settings and click HDMI Audio again. Sounds returned!

However, after powering all off and back on again, problem returns! Only way to get audio back is to go through TV settings and select HDIM Audio again.

Any ideas on this or has the soundbar developed a fault?

Sponsored Links
If sound comes out of the sound bar then I would doubt the fault is with that. Your TV is changing a setting. If you only put the TV in standby does it still happen? Do you usually switch everything off at the plug?

If sound comes out of the sound bar then I would doubt the fault is with that. Your TV is changing a setting. If you only put the TV in standby does it still happen? Do you usually switch everything off at the plug?

I never usually turn the TV off at the plug, everything including the Sky Q box and the soundbar are always left on standby. I've also checked to see if the TV has done a software update in the last week, which it hasn't. The software is up to date.

I had problems with ARC on my LG TV, had it fixed once, then it failed again. Now using optical audio cable - is that an option for you?

Oh, once I started using optical audio I had Dolby Digital again. ARC didn't manage that on my set up, so that was an added bonus - but probably because the LG isn't very good? ARC is supposed to be better than optical, I think ...

Sponsored Links
ARC is supposed to be better than optical, I think ...

For the sound qualities they'll carry, HDMI ARC and optical are equal. You'll often find that there are set-up menus for each in a TV, so if anyone is experiencing a difference in the range of audio formats either will carry then have a look at the settings for each.

The only advantage with HDMI ARC is the CEC control feature. It's a bit flaky though.

I thought I once read that ARC supported atmos sound, or 7.2 or something, that audio didn't? So not relevant if you have a soundbar anyway?

My so called "Smart" TV doesn't have optical - only the Sky Q box does, which dosn't really help as I watch 50% Sky and 50% app based streaming via the Smart TV.

I thought I once read that ARC supported atmos sound, or 7.2 or something, that audio didn't? So not relevant if you have a soundbar anyway?

Actually you're quite correct. I stand corrected.

Optical and HDMI ARC both have the same bandwidth, so technically they can both do DD+. What stops it is the format management imposed as a result of HDMI licencing. DD+ is limited to just the HDMI channel.

Can you not convert the hdmi to optical?

I could possibly buy an adaptor - but would that not defeat the object of having just one remote operate all 3 items? I.e if connecting via optical, will the soundbar turn on automatically when the TV does as currently connected to HDMI?

Also, this is just over a week old and was working perfectly fine, should I have to be buying adapters to fix this?

Through looking through the settings there isn't anything that could have changed to stop it from working so I think the unit must be faulty?

HDMI CEC is flaky. If you're having problems with it then try a handshake reset. Start by disabling CEC in the menus on all devices. Switch off all and remove mains plug from wall. Disconnect HDMI leads. Reconnect mains and power all back on. Go back to standby. Reconnect HDMI leads. Power on and then return CEC menu settings as they should be. Try power off and power on functions to see if CEC behaves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back