Soundproofing a flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a ground floor flat,can anyone recommend soundproofing products or a company before i chin the people above me,thanks.

Sponsored Links
89518.jpg

Thanks merlin made me laugh,seriously i'm on the verge of getting nicked,need excellent soundproofing

Sponsored Links
Could you be a bit more constructive in your replies,this is a serious matter that is driving me mad,thanks

There's nothing you can do if you can't stop the source, that means getting upstairs to fit thick carpets or just shut up and have some consideration.

Have you tried going up with a bottle of wine and introducing yourself then bringing up the issue?

Do you rent or own this flat? To reduce the sound may require ripping down ceilings and replacing the lot.

You can spend a lot of money on soundproofing just to find it does not solve the problem, it is difficult to get right and even when built to current regs you still get noise transmission.

Best, but possibly hardest route, is to deal with the source.

As an example my son is buying a new flat - the contract says he MUST have carpets except in bathrooms - no tiles, no wood, no laminate! All to cut down on noise transmission.

I own the flat,if i am in the room i can hear the flat above washing dishes,i can hear them using the toilet and i can also hear normal level conversations and them having sex.I can hear cupboard doors closing etc.They rent the flat and it got to the point where the landlord give them a final warning but now they won't take it further.

Well I don't think that they are causing the problem if you consider washing dishes to be an issue. Do you expect them to use dirty plates?? Are they expected to 'hold it in' and poo at work?

I would hazard a guess that the floor /ceiling construction is below standard.
As they rent this is of no concern to them, there should be a minimum requirement for sounds as well as fireproofing between dwellings. Is this flat a house that's been converted into two? Do you have downlights in your ceiling?

The normal daily chores they can't help but it goes a lot further like 6 of them shouting jump and bouncing on the floor(my ceiling)playing loud music etc,my point is i shouldn't have to listen to whatever they do,you have obviously never had this problem.The flat is purpose built

You need a broom, so you can bang on the ceiling like Alf Garnett.

Seriously though you need to go have a friendly chat when these things are happening. Although start thinking long term re: getting the ceiling rebuilt and ask the landlord to fit thick underlay and carpet the lot.

fit microphones to the ceilings pluged into an amplifier, large speakers pointing out of the window. switch it on full volume when they are at it in bed so the whole street can hear it. :eek:

Before we complained we went and spoke to them 3 times,we also wrote them a letter explaining what we can hear and asking then to keep it down.This had no effect so we went to the landlord and the management company.They received 4 warnings and we was told any more and they will be kicked out,when it happened 3 more times we complained again only to be told they won't take any more action against them,rent money speaks volumes obviously.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back