Soundproofing a party wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This topic probably comes up regularly but I'm trying to work out the best 'bang for my buck' for all the possible solutions.

I've done a lot of reading and YouTube and found various suppliers but it is difficult to get a true figure on what sort of sound reduction their products would give. They quote figures around the 40 to 60dB. But I think this is for the total wall.

I'm on a fairly tight budget so started off just thinking about dot and dabbing some acoustic plasterboard but was then told it should be off the wall so use some 25mm batten. But screwing this to the wall will just transmit sound through the screws and the face of the battens, therefor a gap is required, say 5mm.

But how do I fit this frame without attaching it to the wall? Will something like Everbuilds AC50 acoustic mastic be good enough to stick the battens to the wall whilst giving some degree of gap and then being able to hold the heavy acoustic plasterboard. I could space the battens off say 2mm using some spacers in a couple of places which can be removed once the mastic is set.

Any thoughts on this and any other budget conscious solutions.

BTW, I'm trying to suppress normal sound conversation and TV and radios plus a dog barking now and again.

Richard

Sponsored Links
I used soundboard on our entire party wall and can honestly say it made no noticeable difference. We could hear the neighbours TV just as easily as before.

A layer of rockwool is the way to go, the thicker the better

I assume when you say soundboard you are talking about the Gypsium Soundbloc boards?

I was considering putting some acoustic mineral wool batts in the studding before covering with acoustic plasterboard. I can only manage 25mm studs as we are tight for space.

I've now found a soundproof company that sells a modified two layer acoustic plasterboard with a heavy mass acoustic layer in the middle, but again what will that give in noise reduction.

Soon having work done on our party wall hopefully in the next two weeks.

2 layers of soundbloc 12.5mm placed onto the existing wall. Sandwiched between the two new soundbloc plaster boards will be a heavy duty accoustic mat/membrane supplied by AdvancedAccoustics, that is about 5mm thick. We're running with the method of adding mass.

Unlike the comment above I have read about good results from this method.

We thought about the floating wall but because we're not doing it ourselves the price does play a part and we're reluctant to lose too much space.

Not expecting a complete deadening of the sound but hopeful of a reduction.

I'll drop a comment with the results as I'm having the same noise issues as yourself.

Sponsored Links
Hi John, that would be great to have some feedback on an acoustic supplier product.

The product you mention is similar to the product I've looked at from NoiseStop, but the core is only 2.5mm thick. When I spoke to them they said that would be fine for sound like talking TV etc but impact sounds like a wall mounted TV, slamming doors, heavy foot steps would require an isolation gap from the wall. Thats why I'm thinking about going down the stud route with the NoiseStop product over the top.

BTW, have you noticed the high cost of delivery!! Typically £50 to £100.

Richard

are talking about the Gypsium Soundbloc boards

I used gyproc soundblock boards, the spec said it reduces sound by 60db. I guess when your party wall is already 20cm think adding 2-3cm more of any material won't make a huge difference.

Hi Richard,

I'll let you know here as soon as it's done.

Yes, impact noise is something I'm not expecting to be able to change through the method we're adopting and we've made peace with that. But if what we're doing even just reduces the noise of normal conversation, TV noise and music then I'll consider it a success. We've suffered too long!

what type of property . semi ? new build? stone ? etc

1920's semi with a solid 9" brick party wall. Unfortunately our neighbours have removed their plaster to expose the brickwork which must be awful as the brickwork I've found is pretty poor.

Richard

open fireplaces, rsj’s and ceiling voids where the joists enter the brickwork are the biggest source of noise transfer in those types of property.

Will watch this with interest. Getting fed up hearing the neighbours kids arguing, doors slamming, chairs being dragged across the floor; that's just in our living room. My 5yr old has to listen to the same thing come bed time!

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back