Soundproofing a room

Reaction score
Country
United States
Im trying to build a very small room. I have no clue how to block out outside noise and i wanna do it in the best way possible. Anybody have experience with this?

Sponsored Links
I think there are two ways sound will cross you barriers (walls/ceiling/floor) these are air born sound through hairline cracks and sound through the structure, vibrations.

Try looking up British Gypsum or Knaff (not sure of spelling)

Attention to detail is very important. Good luck with your venture.

Tim

You're in the USA - we are in the uk.

Uk houses tend to be brick built, mainly cavity wall unless quite old

Mass is generally a good way of stopping sound, and avoiding transmission through materials is the key

SheerCoid, good evening.

OK we are operating two Hugely differing Construction systems.

I admit freely I have no idea on Building practices in the USA but?

How about you research Construction of " Recording Studios" in the USA? why because Studios have to eliminate external sound sources that may give you some pointers to what you have to do to achieve your needs.

I have been in several recording Studios, NOT to make a recording! in some of them the Drum kit is in a glass fronted "Room" to allow the drum sound to be recorded at the same time as Vocals, and all other instruments but it allows the Studio sound engineer to "isolate" all the differing sound sources.

if you as suggested research this area you could find that your answers are there?

Or? here is one off the wall, use YouTube to see what various builders of Sound recording studios have been up to? one thing I do know is that the walls of the Studios are not vertical, they are set at a slight angle, this to prevent a so called "Standing Wave" to occur

As Tigercubrider, mass [heavy blocks / bricks / something like Concrete] will reduce external noise from getting into the room.

Ken.

Sponsored Links
SheerCoid, good evening.

OK we are operating two Hugely differing Construction systems.

I admit freely I have no idea on Building practices in the USA but?

How about you research Construction of " Recording Studios" in the USA? why because Studios have to eliminate external sound sources that may give you some pointers to what you have to do to achieve your needs.

I have been in several recording Studios, NOT to make a recording! in some of them the Drum kit is in a glass fronted "Room" to allow the drum sound to be recorded at the same time as Vocals, and all other instruments but it allows the Studio sound engineer to "isolate" all the differing sound sources.

if you as suggested research this area you could find that your answers are there?

Or? here is one off the wall, use YouTube to see what various builders of Sound recording studios have been up to? one thing I do know is that the walls of the Studios are not vertical, they are set at a slight angle, this to prevent a so called "Standing Wave" to occur

As Tigercubrider, mass [heavy blocks / bricks / something like Concrete] will reduce external noise from getting into the room.

Ken.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/soundproofing-a-room.477554/#ixzz4ZAd7GVqM

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back