Soundproofing a Terraced House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in an end terraced house built in the late 80's with only a singlebreeze block wall and dry lining beteen me and my neighbour, there is also a gas fire on the partioning wall, I'm thinking of removing the fire as I don't use it, and think removing the flue, replace with soundproofing etc

At the moment I can hear the neighbour sneeze, kid cry etc, am hopng to eliminate this as much as possible.

I have done some research on sound insulation, rock wool pads, double dry-lining, green / Blue? stuff between dry lining, isolating dry wall mounts.

Has anyone done this, how successful? How much?

Idea's gratefully received :D

Sponsored Links
Has anyone done this, how successful? How much?

Very few people have done it. Varied success rates. Very expensive!

Actually it needn't be that pricey. Breeze is pants to start with so first job would be to get a thick coat of render on there. There's one called Soundcoat Plus by British Gypsum which is pricier but supposedly more effective at reducing sound transmission, and takes better to breeze block.

After this you are looking at a timber or metal channel wall with a couple of layers of plasterboard on and then skimmed. Rockwool slabs behind, 100mm is a decent amount but all depend on how much space you can afford to lose. (remember that most of the insulation depth would be incorporated into the studwork)

You could also batten out the wall and fix resilient channel. Sound absorbing metal strips which absorb some of the sound by making the wall slightly 'springy' You need to follow instructions to the letter with these, otherwise they don't work so well.

http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ...gyproc_accessories/gyproc_soundcoat_plus.aspx

http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ..._profiles/gypframe_sound_insulating_bars.aspx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back