Soundproofing terraced house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Please could anyone help with some soundproofing advice?
Because of loud traffic noise and living a pavement's width from a busy road, I would like to add some soundproofing to inside of this wall.

Could someone help with the following please?

1) What is the best soundproofing and method for this wall with a lot of external noise - approx 12 foot wall

2 What is the best soundproofing and method for an internal wall between a neighbouring house

Any help would be very much appreciated. If anyone knows a rough cost per foot/metre as well that would be great.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Morning,

1) Unless you have holes in the masonry, the walls are not going to be the problem. The windows will. Good fitting double glazing is pretty good at general traffic noise but at the distances you have stated, you might need something a bit more robust. There are a raft of double glazing options which offer more protection from noise ingress. Pilkington's Optiphon range are pretty good but it will probably be quite an investment of ££££. It would probably be worth paying someone to do some proper noise measurements at your external façade and some noise ingress calcs to advise on the most appropriate means of uprating the glazing. Alternatively you could look at retro fitting internal secondary glazing. This can be really effective but intrusive and ugly.

If you do have holes in your walls, plug them up. Be careful though as you might end up with a mould problem if you don't have enough ventilation. If possible, move any external wall vents to a less noisy façade.

2) Sound insulation between properties can be more complex. If it is just noise through the fabric of the wall then you want to look at de-coupling the internal lining from the party wall. Gosforth Handy man (see his excellent Youtube channel) recently included some of his work in adding sound insulation to internal walls. Basically, you will need to look at resiliently mounting an internal lining of plasterboard (ideally two layers) to the wall and fill the cavity with a suitably dense mineral wool / rock wool. Again, check there are no holes in the wall first.
If you have a problem with flanking sound i.e. the properties share joists or have a solid party wall, then you will have more of a job. Again you need to de-couple your property from the neighbours.

Sorry I can't offer any costs. The scope and scale of the work depends on a lot of factors and I wouldn't know where to begin with that.

Cheers,
BBM

If you can afford to loose 100mm then a stud wall 50mm off the house wall packed with Rockwool Soundslab would be decent. It would cost about £150/£160 in materials then need a plasterer to skim it.

Sponsored Links
Hello, thank you both for the advice.

I do have air vents on this wall that lead into the cellar and I think a lot of the noise is coming up through the cellar roof so that is going to have to be insulated to try and help the noise as well. I will have a look at the video, thanks for that.

I could afford to loose 100 mm for a stud wall.... anything to get rid of the noise!!!

Thank you both so much ;);)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back