Soundproofing floor? Couple of questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a large flat in a Victorian building and am wanting to replace the floor in my kitchen with moisture resistant 8x2 T+G. The old boards are badly damaged in places - there’s obviously been water damage and subsequent rot problems in the past and its going to be easier, and neater, to replace the whole lot rather than try and patch it. While the floor is up I also want to introduce some sound dampening materials.

First question - I’ve got the agreement of the people in the flat below me but do I need to inform local building control about any of this work? I know the obvious thing is to contact them but I’ve been trying to speak to someone for the last couple of days with no success - struck me it might be quicker to ask here.

My idea was to introduce a layer or two of plasterboard resting on battens between the joists (which are nice and deep) and put a layer of Rockwool on top of this. A work mate has done this and claims its helped to a fair extent with sound but was worth doing for the heat insulation alone, an advantage he didn’t really have in mind when putting it in.

Second question…er, questions, I should say. Any recommendations for alternative materials or methods? I know this isn’t going to be a total cure as far as any noise problems go but it seems daft not to do something while the floor is up.

And I was told, on another board, that any materials between the joists should sit on a fixed layer of chicken wire (or similar) to prevent material falling from the ceiling in a fire. Is this true? I don’t mind doing it if it’s required but it strikes me as odd that you should have to do this in the case I'm talking about when there seems to be no such requirement to do the same when insulating your loft.

Cheers.

Spook.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back