Soundproofing Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In need of a bit of advice. I have a bedroom above a kitchen and from the bedroom you can hear everything in the kitchen - every little sound. This is because there are gaps between the bedroom floorboards and a very thin foam-backed carpet with no underlay. Sound insulation is non-existant.

So, I know I can improve the sound insulation a bit by just fitting a decent underlay and carpet, but is that likely to be enough? Would laying hardboard help significantly too? Or should I go to the effort of taking up the floorboards (which also means removing the skirting boards by the look of it...eugh) and fitting some rockwool-type insulation?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
My bedroom is above my lounge and whilst I was renovating the lounge and the ceiling was down I fitted the Rockwall Sound Slab. I think it is called R45, it's really easy to fit, like a thick sponge, I just used a bread knife to cut it to size and it friction fits in between the joints.
I have since used in in my hallway ceiling and to sound proof a party wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back