Soundproofing internal party walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house was originally a medieval longhouse, it’s built of stone and cob. It was split into three properties in the 1830s, we now own 2 of the 3 cottages.
Upstairs in my daughters bedroom we have a problem with sound coming through the walls. My daughters bed is against the party wall, (the only realistic position before you ask) and i assume the neighbour’s is the same, ie head to head.
Sleeping, snoring and other vigorous activities, wink wink, can be heard quite clearly through the wall and as they sometimes go on for long periods this upsets my daughter to the point where she doesn’t want to sleep there or has a very broken sleep. The neighbour’s seem unaware or just don’t care or realise or are show offs, it’s a difficult subject to brooch. The downstairs is fine, no problems.
So i have decided to put up full length vertical t&g along the wall and fill it between with a sound insulating material. I had assumed the wall would be a fairly modern plaster board stud wall, I was wrong.
Plaster is old flaky lime, papered over. I uncovered a horizontal section across the wall about 5ft from the floor and 6/8" deep to locate uprights to attach batons to. They are roughly 16/18" apart as i would have hoped. The sections are filled with cob with the odd lath, i assume to hold the cob in. There is one section between uprights which is all laths and hollow. I am planning to force some insulation into this one.
I am not expecting to totally solve this just improve it as much as is possible. Also i would like to lose as little as possible off the size of the room.
Anyway that’s the situation and my question(s) are as follows.
1) I’m sure it would help to add, dot n dab a layer of plaster board on top of the existing wall before adding the t&g layer, can anyone recommend a good sound insulating board, and/or should i leave a gap between the wall and new plasterboard, spacing with batons?
2) What is a good sound insulating material/product to put behind the t&g?
My standard is diy, many years of it. Thankyou in anticipation

Sponsored Links
Broach the subject... You only have to do it once.

The idea of kids hearing, and being upset by bedroom gymnastics, should be enough for them to tone it done, or, perform in a different room.

[Edit]
Do the soundproofing too, but, a chat will be more effective

Sponsored Links
My daughter is 23, we have heard it from outside too, so maybe exhibitionists. Have left it too long, but will bring it up as noise when an opportunity arises

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back