source of U values

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to design my central heating system and am having difficulty finding some U values. The building is a 1930's bungalow so is not constructed with any modern standards where U values are readily available. I need U values for
Solid concrete floor (i believe is 2, assumed to be the ground)
uninsulated cavity brick wall - 1.4?
ceiling to loft space. Is this calculated as part of the roof? If so is ther a U value for ceiling with 200mm insulation, loft space, felt and concrete tiles?

Is there an addition for heat loss that should be added for having an open fire place? of should i increase the ventilation rate to 5 air changes an hour to accomodate this?

Help appreciated
thanks

Sponsored Links
Forgot to add, what is the temperature that should be assumed of the ground to calculate the tempereatur differnce across the floor. Note, i am in southampton

Use a Mears heatloss calculator.

Solid floor .09 to .18 according to size amnd no of outside walls.

11" Uninsulated cavity wall, .265

Sponsored Links
Use a Mears heatloss calculator.
3 pieces of plastic and a rivet. Excellent value at 30 odd quid.....not.

http://www.stelrad.com/uk/stars.html

I said USE one not BUY one.

Most old school installers will have one.
I bought mine 35 years ago , and still carry it in the van for on site calcs.

It's far easier and quicker to use than Stelrad Stars and Mysons offering + no computer needed.
All common building options for older houses are covered.

going to try and down load that program.
a little concerned as the figures i had managed to find on line give a solid uninsulated concret floor as U value of 2, a little different to 0.09 as suggested above and 11" wall as 1.4 not 0.265 as above. Can anyone else give some second opinions as these are quite drastic differences
thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back