Space Saver stairs meeting loft floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just took delivery of these space saver stairs, and with the stringers in place, I can see that the top step sits proud of the loft floor. It actually sits on top of it, and overlaps it by 50mm or so.

I wasn't expecting this.... am waiting for a response from the manufacturer. Is this how they are meant to be? It means the top of the step is 32mm proud of the floor. Underlay plus carpet will bring the floor level up perhaps 15mm? If I were to trim away the 18mm chipboard that the stairs are resting on, and take 18mm off the bottom of the stringers then I guess things would line up.. but then why am I cutting something that's meant to be made to measure?

IMG_6623 by Tom D, on Flickr

IMG_6626 by Tom D, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
draw a line around the tread and where the string is remove the chipboard floor thats in the way ??
do the same the other side until the string sits on solid timber
double up on any timbers [trimmers]if required

draw a line around the tread and where the string is remove the chipboard floor thats in the way ??
do the same the other side until the string sits on solid timber

Yes, I think that's what I described in my original post: this would drop them 18mm, meaning that the top step would be 14mm proud of the floor, and then this could be made up with underlay+carpet.....

BUT

This of course means I have to take 18mm off the bottom of the stringers, and then the bottom step is 18mm shorter than the rest, and then the stairs are not compliant with building regs anymore?

What's bothering me is that the manufacturer is telling me that the top of the step should be flush with the floor, and questioning my measurements. However, one quick look at the photo shows that this is not the case - the way that the notch has been cut to allow the stringer to mate with the floor, and the way it relates to the dado for the steps, means that it's impossible for the top step to be flush with the floor, regardless of measurements.

It's like they don't even understand their own product..

from your picture the angle is a fraction too tight so if you move the base say 24mm away taking it perhaps 18mm off the floor at the bottom

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
How confident are you that the stairs are level now? In reality a minor difference in tread angle will not be discernable to most people

The top tread must sit flush with the sub-floor. Any step in the levels is a trip hazard and should be avoided. I am left thinking that the manufacturer possibly expects the top tread to sit on a timber bearer fixed to the trimmer, or that some fitting to the tops of the stringers and top tread are required

Last edited by a moderator:
How confident are you that the stairs are level now? In reality a minor difference in tread angle will not be discernable to most people

The top tread must sit flush with the sub-floor. Any step in the levels is a trip hazard and should be avoided. I am left thinking that the manufacturer possibly expects the top tread to sit on a timber bearer fixed to the trimmer, or that some fitting tonthevtops of the stringers and top tread are required

After I spoke to a different chap from the supplier, it's sorted out. You are right - as they are, the stairs are not quite level, even though to the eye they look it. I used a tread to prop them up at the bottom and now they are level. So yes, I need to cut out the floor and notch itnto the joist a bit. Then it will be ok. I'm going to get a sample of the carpet and underlay to figure out how tall they will be, and leave the step proud of the subfloor by just under this amount.

Hi, Just wondering did you manage to get the sign-off from BCO on using this stairs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back