Spacing for large floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to re-tile my kitchen. The tiles we have chosen are quite large roughly 35 x 35 cm. What spacing should I use for these tiles? Previously when I have tiled floors I have used a 4-5 mm spacing but I have never used tiles this big. Should I use a bigger gap? I am concerend a 4 mm gap will look strange with such large tiles.

Sponsored Links
35cm x 35cm is not a particularly large tile, don't worry it'll look fine.

my tiles were 330 x 330 andspaced with 4mm gaps..
I suppose it might differ with the colour grout you choose, but a dark grey grout looks ok at 4mm..

I have laid 600x600 with both 5mm and 2mm spacers,both jobs looked fine,it really depends on your personal preference.

Sponsored Links
Also depends on the tiles

We have 330 sq spaced at 8mm (Approx) but the tiles do not have straight edges (a pain in the neck to lay).

As an amateur larger spaces give you more room for error in levels but it depends what "look" you want. A neighbour laid 600x600 gloss black with 2mm gaps, took him a while but looks great.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back