Spalled garage door lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

It's my first post here and I was hoping for some advice.

The lintel in my garage has spalled/blown from water ingress. We bought the house (1930s 3 bed semi with attached garage) 10 months ago and there was nothing mentioned in the homebuyers report. With it being an up and over garage door, the lintel is hidden by the door when it's open and as such, I only just noticed it in late December. I guess it's been leaking in for quite a while (before we bought it? Possibly years?) as I don't think the lintel would spall like it has in 10 months (I may be wrong though).

I've got a roofer coming round to try and pinpoint the source of the leak, the coping stones on the parapet wall are loose and although the garage is single brick, it could be running down the render through the brickwork, or alternatively it could be the flashing between the parapet wall and the slates. Obviously the first priority is stopping the water ingress.

Anyway, the lintel has blown from the south side and runs approx 55% of the span of the lintel, the lintel is a big thick concrete one with iron inside. It seems to be sitting on a 1-1.5" piece of wood, maybe from when it was cast? There is no sagging and no cracking of the brick course's, just the blown concrete on the inside of the garage.

Is there any way the lintel can be repaired once the water leak is fixed? I guess replacing it will be quite costly and at the moment I just don't have the money to do it.

Thanks

Steve
IMG_20210201_173934.jpg
IMG_20210201_173934.jpg
IMG_20210201_173940.jpg
IMG_20210201_173946.jpg
IMG_20210201_173954.jpg
IMG_20210201_174004.jpg
IMG_20210201_173934.jpg

Sponsored Links
What’s it supporting, a brick gable?
Replacement likely to just involve some acro props, strong boy plates and a new lintel, so not mega cost.

Yes mate and thank you for the reply, just a parapet wall that runs at the same angle just slightly higher than the pitched roof.

The house side of the lintel, the unspalled side looks like it beds into the house wall, does that make it more complicated?

Sponsored Links
If there’s no visible damage to the lintel other than the surface and nothings bowing, I doubt there’s a pressing need to replace it anyway. Just monitor it

That's reassuring to hear, the amount of things going round my head since I noticed it has been crazy, my wife is pig sick of me going on about it! :LOL:

I'll monitor it and have a backup plan to replace if needed. Thank you again (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back