Spalling Brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im after some advice really......

Moved into semi built in 1968 about 6 months ago. House is in Yorkshire.

Noticed some spalling brick work on initial viewing and subsequent survey mentions that it will require attn in due course but not urgent!

Most of damaged bricks are on south east corner into prevailing winds. Probably 15-20% of bricks damaged in one way or another and its obvious some bricks have been chopped out and replaced in past

Thing is I think its getting worse and was just wondering what best options are in terms of dealing with it?

Do I get it rendered / pebbledashed or continue getting the bad bricks chopped out and replaced

Oh, and do I need to move this job up the list. Is it a big problem? I know the bricks do look ugly but how much is the houses structural strength is compromised?

Sponsored Links
the worry about spalling is damp.
you can do any of the choices mentioned it just depends on how you want it to look.
i have dashing on part of my house but im not keen on the look.
good luck with it

While spalled bricks don't get any better, it will take quite severe spalling after many years to affect the strength of the wall.

Its mainly cosmetic until such a time as large areas of brick deteriorate after many years.

Even if you consider rendering, any spalled bricks should be replaced else the render is liable to become detached from the spalled brick

You could chop out the bad bricks and reverse or replace them. If you do the whole elevation then best to repoint it too to blend it all in.

To reduce the spalling, you could coat the worse bricks with Thompson water seal or a more specific clear epoxy sealant, and this will buy you some more years.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back