Spanish train crash video

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Saw the driver is getting charged with negligence, some load to have on your conscience.

Interesting on the video is that one of the carriages derails first, behind the front part of the train.

the locomotive/power car at the front will tend to have its own bogies rather than shared
the traction motors and transformer on the locomotive/power car will tend to be under the floor giving it a lower center off gravity so less movement on tight corners

Interesting on the video is that one of the carriages derails first, behind the front part of the train.

Yes, the engine will be a LOT heavier than the carriages and would probably have made it round if it hadn't been derailed by the carriage behind, the couplings have limited movement and wouldn't have been able to take that speed.

Pretty shocking to see a huge train like that tossed around like a toy and no matter how careless the driver may have been it should not have been possible for that to happen. It sounds like a pretty poor bit of track design, passengers often complain about the jolt when the train slows down from 180+kph to 80kph in the matter of a couple of seconds.

As I posted earlier, the train uses two control systems and should have slowed down automatically either by driver input, or lack of input (see link) I think he's being made the scapegoat for some technical failure of the Spanish railways systems. ;)

traditionally in years gone buy the driver has been blamed whether rightly or wrongly often because he has died in the incident so he has no input

whilst the spy in the cab is never welcome to a man who would book on be unsupervised throughout his shift now has tools to hand to back up his side off what happened when it goes wrong

Another one in Switzerland now, just the driver dead Ive heard.

It sounds like a pretty poor bit of track design
You are always going to have places on a rail network where external or historical constraints mean that you can't make the curves as gentle as you would like and so you have to slow down to take them safely.

I guess it will be quite some time (if ever) that we find out why the train was going too fast.

It's just been on the news that the driver was thought to have been on the phone at the time of the crash.

It's just been on the news that the driver was thought to have been on the phone at the time of the crash.

On the line, no pun intended, to one of his superiors, I would like to know what that conversation was about!

Sponsored Links
Back