Spanner/wrench for toilet flush backnut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to fit a new flush valve and am going to need a very wide (70mm approx) wrench to tighten the backnut. Looks similar to the backnut on a basin waste.

Where can I get such a wide wrench? The ones in screwfix/toolstation look too small. I don't want water pump pliers as I can't be certain of a good grip at the exact size.

Sponsored Links
You may get a free plastic spanner with your new valve, but slip joint pliers will sort you fine.....its only recommended 1/2 turn after hand tight.
John :)

By slip joint you mean water pump pliers?

And another quick question regards the bolts and washers - is it ok to put a bit of LSX on them? Is LSX safe on rubber?

Yep, water pump pliers are the same.
Manufacturers frown at using sealants often enough but if I want to use something its silicone for me....are you talking about the close couple bolts here?
On large washers, silicone can cause the washer to squish out, so gan canny!

Sponsored Links
Yes I'm talking about the close coupled bolts with the washers. I know you shouldn't need any sealant but my thinking is that water could make its way down the thread where the bolt goes through the washer.

Footprint Pipewrench fit these nuts a treat. As mentioned above, just past hand tight is all that's needed really.

The theory is the washers squish, sealing off the threads as well as the cistern. A dab of silicone will do no harm at all.

Haven't you got to wait a while for the silicon to cure though?

What about lsx or plumbers mait instead?

No need to wait for the silicone to cure.....apply and squeeze it up.
Some applications state that plumbers mait must not be used.

No need to wait for the silicone to cure.....apply and squeeze it up.
Some applications state that plumbers mait must not be used.

A sausage of Plumbers Mait on both sides of the Doughnut Washer is always a good idea if it's not a new washer.

Most water pump pliers will tighten even a 2" flush valve back nut.

A little good quality silicone top and bottom on the internal rubber washers on the bolts will stop any water getting to the threads. As others have said, not too tight, just tight enough. If you're concerned then leave it for 10 mins to cure up but it can be used straight away as Burner mentions.

1) use no silicone, plumbers mait or LSX (yuk product) or the ilk.
2) always dry all surfaces and I mean dry.
3) pump pliers ok, do not overtighten.
4) always use new washers, do-nuts.
5) cistern bolts that go through the cistern, make sure they are stainless steel (magnet) if not toolstation 51104 conical washers. £ 2.42 and no jollop stuff.
There, hope you have a trouble free experience.

I follow the silicone and jolllop gang for repairs and make a good living out of it.:)

1) use no silicone, plumbers mait or LSX (yuk product) or the ilk.
2) always dry all surfaces and I mean dry.
3) pump pliers ok, do not overtighten.
4) always use new washers, do-nuts.
5) cistern bolts that go through the cistern, make sure they are stainless steel (magnet) if not toolstation 51104 conical washers. £ 2.42 and no jollop stuff.
There, hope you have a trouble free experience.

I follow the silicone and jolllop gang for repairs and make a good living out of it.:)

That's all very well on new sanitary ware mate, everything going in dry. But on older stuff, you're talking sh.te!! The porcelain can be as rough as a badgers bum, manky & good luck cleaning the Loo Blu off everything too!! I've spend too many hours stripping down & refitting old CC WCs to follow your mantra!!

It seems to me gaspuller as this is your second venomous rant at me that you seriously need to go to charm school. As you have admitted on a previous post coming from Glasgow is not easy, but with a little practice is not that difficult. Cleaning the "blue stuff" off is I admit a pita but with latex gloves and a kitchen roll (both always on the van) though messy, is not that difficult. With the aid of a kitchen roll getting the sanitary ware really dry, again is not that difficult. Always use new washers and donuts they are not that difficult to obtain and most if not all should be on the van before repairing a WC. A small investment called stock.

So to sum up.... even repairing old loos is not that difficult, though to do it properly is time consuming and requires patience but is achievable almost 100% first time with no jollop of any kind.. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back