Spanner/wrench for toilet flush backnut

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
None if they are brass. Put a (fridge) magnet on them to see, they look like steel to me. If they are metal they will eventually rust at the top inside the cistern. If the cistern overflows a brown mark will eventually be seen at the back of the pan and is a hell of a job to get rid of completely. Don’t fit them unless you want to go through the whole process of refitting the loo. Brass or stainless steel ok, if these are steel take them back to B&Q and say not fit for purpose. Water & steel = rust.

It seems to me gaspuller as this is your second venomous rant at me that you seriously need to go to charm school. As you have admitted on a previous post coming from Glasgow is not easy, but with a little practice is not that difficult. Cleaning the "blue stuff" off is I admit a pita but with latex gloves and a kitchen roll (both always on the van) though messy, is not that difficult. With the aid of a kitchen roll getting the sanitary ware really dry, again is not that difficult. Always use new washers and donuts they are not that difficult to obtain and most if not all should be on the van before repairing a WC. A small investment called stock.

So to sum up.... even repairing old loos is not that difficult, though to do it properly is time consuming and requires patience but is achievable almost 100% first time with no jollop of any kind.. :)

There's about 20 different types of doughnut washers, some on that foreign imported cr.p you'll never find in a million years. Who's got hours to spend cleaning a complete cistern, we charge £65/hr for jobbing Plumbing......get real!!!

As for your Marigold gloves, no self-respecting Plumber wears gloves:LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
I'm afraid I have to agree with Puller, Spares. A small amount of silicone around the rubber sealing washers avoids call backs when they don't seal properly.

In my experience, with both new and old installs, the quality of the castings and the coupling washers is sometimes not the best and a little silicone ensures that there are no weeps, even with a van full of spares. I'd rather have that, than a disappointed customer.

I do agree with you when you say, most are dry when correctly prepped where the castings are nice and smooth but I've yet to find a coupling that gives a 100% guarantee, even you mention almost 100%. To be honest I want 100% and using a small amount of silicone to ensure the seal to achieve that is a small price. I don't want any customer calling me back being the one that didn't seal properly.

Sponsored Links
Hi Madrab. We all try for 100% because going back is a free pain. The reason for almost 100% is no one can 100% guarantee no leak my method brings this to almost 100% relatively speaking.

There are not that many doughnuts as puller suggests I can get it down to 6 repair stock on van very easily, even allow for Roca and Ideal large doughnuts. There is a knack to getting the right generic ones including conical rubber ones with just the right amount of smudginess usually recognised with a white film on them . I can also make them from close cell foam used in seating or boats. Rough casting is never that bad to make a difference or out of alignment for that matter. Silicone makes any rubber washer move when tightened up with the possibility of moving it of its seating so I dont use it.

As for your Marigold gloves, no self-respecting Plumber wears gloves

Or Vinyl, latex, work gloves of some kind should be worn when completing this task. No self-respecting plumber would deal with a possible contaminated item without wearing them. It doesn’t take long to clean the blue stuff off with a whole kitchen roll, five minutes at most.

One thing is for sure even though I don’t know you I could recognise you by your Smerf blue hands....Oh and don’t shake mine.
C:\DOCUME~1\JACKIE~1.FAM\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif
:)

Seriously SH, you carry 6 types of doughnut washers???.......You're having a right laff mate??!!
Never had a doughnut washer leak after giving it the Plumbers Mait treatment & you don't need to carry any spare washers either. No money tied up in van stock, which is very poor business practice.

As for cutting out washers from anything, c'mon fella, you need to get out more - start using some silicone & live a little......:LOL::LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back