Spasmodic C/H and flashing boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating has been very spasmodic for the last few weeks. Sometimes it comes on, sometimes not. I’ve never used a timer with it, I just turn it on/off as needed. I tried to get an engineer to come and look at it, but nobody rang me back.

Now I’ve noticed that the blue light on the boiler is flashing. It’s a Worcester Bosch Greenstar boiler. The engineers I tried to contact were both Worcester Bosch. If I can’t get a Worcester Bosch engineer, will any good boiler engineer be OK? It does need a service, but it's so difficult getting an engineer.

Has anybody any suggestions as to what could be wrong? My gas fire and the cooker hobs work fine.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
PS. I've just been to look at the boiler again and the blue light is now solid, as it has been when I've looked at it from time to time over the last few weeks.

Yes, any boiler engineer should be able to diagnose and repair. You've not given enough info for anyone here to have any idea I'm afraid. There are lots of different WB Greenstar boilers, need a model number. Also how regular are the flashes? Once a second? Twice a second? Something else? What happens when you reset it?

Thank you, Andrew. I'll go and look for the model number and see if it's started flashing again.

Sponsored Links
The model number is Greenstar 18RI. It's still solid again now, and I'm sorry but I didn't notice how regular the flashes were when it was flashing earlier.

I haven't dared touch it because of it flashing, but I can re-set it if that's OK to do.

Can I mention something else which might be connected. My fuel bill is through the roof, 3 times higher than the industry average for my size of house. Could this be connected (eg a possible gas leak)?

I've just turned the heating back on to see what happens and the blue light has started flashing again. It's quite fast - probably 2 flashes per second.

Call Worcester and get either a fixed price repair or a service call, if you ask for a service and they find a fault they will possibly change it to a FPR call, you will get a warranty with them and they will have any parts required, these boilers need to be properly serviced every year

Call Worcester and get either a fixed price repair or a service call, if you ask for a service and they find a fault they will possibly change it to a FPR call, you will get a warranty with them and they will have any parts required, these boilers need to be properly serviced every year

But they will only fix faults on the boiler itself, no faults external to the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back