Spec me a DIY blowtorch/kit for soldering some copper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a bathroom to do in about 10 days time and a few connections need to be done under the floorboards in a room that isn't exactly easy to get to often. I've actually already ordered the compression parts to do it all like that on the basis that soldering was going to be far too problematic. But reading around on here a little more it seems that a) soldering really isn't that difficult and b) using compression under boards is a bad idea.

So I would like to at least have a try with some pipe and some yorkshire parts to see if I can get the hang of it before I have to sort the bathroom. It'll be a handy skill to have too.

I've had a look around on Screwfix but there are quite a few options. Can anyone lend a hand on something actually for my needs? I'll be doing 22 and 15mm copper. Doesn't have to be from screwfix if anyone has a better idea.

Thanks muchly.

Sponsored Links
For the novice

I would go with push fit plastic fittings like hep2

If you are soldering under floors where there is the possibility of water

left in the pipes and difficult access I would rather you use

plastic. Quite easy to cut ensure you use the inserts in the plastic pipe
and they are pretty fool proof.

Any blow torch will do for soldering up to 22mm. The more expensive
ones are better when getting into awkward places and heat up faster.

Ensure the pipe is bright cleaned copper with wire wool. Similar with the fittings inside. Apply flux to the pipe and inside the fitting. Heat and keep
testing with the solder until it flows around the joint. Paint the joint with flux after you remove the torch just to help the solder and clean up the joint. Perhaps try a few of the solder ring fittings(the ones with the solder already in) before moving onto the end feed fittings.
If it's under the floor use plenty of solder better than a leaky joint.

Allow the joint to cool and wipe down with a damp cloth to remove the flux.

For the novice

I would go with push fit plastic fittings like hep2

Might as well use compression then if using hep.

Dont flux the fittings, all you do is push the flux out when you slide the pipe in and end up with alot of unused flux in the pipework. Just flux the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back