Soldering Near Joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this possible? I had some other soldering of pipes to do and decided to take the opportunity to see how well the soldering mat I have works on something less vital than a joist, a couple of plastic pipes, about 1cm and 4cm from the copper ones being soldered. Result was the closer plastic pipe yellowed a little and had some minor bubbles form on the surface while the further away one formed a dark mark. Would imagine that joists are a bit tougher than plastic pipe, but being as they are also a lot more important I'm not happy to go buggering around next to them. Don't want to use compression fittings in places where I can't see them if I can help it and that goes double for push fits under pressure.

Have seen electric soldering devices but they're $$$$. Is that really the only choice if I don't want to use compressions/push-fit and am too much of a coward to risk torching the joists?

Sponsored Links
when i'm soldering i also have a spray bottle to cool down the fittings so i spray the joist etc to try to minimise risk before i place my (decent) heat mat between the joist pipe, never burnt anything yet
at last years installer live i got a freebie of cool gel, or something to spray on surrounding area to stop burning, never tried it, must be still in the garage somewhere so cant comment if it is any good or not :oops:

Sponsored Links
Get another heat mat, they are cheap enough.

Use 2 together, double the protection :D

Joists are very hard to set light to. They may flame a bit, but a quick puff of breath soon puts them out ;)

Water bottle is a very good idea for peace of mind.

if any body takes up my fabulous idea of using a spray bottle please carefully wash it out first if you nab an empty one from the kitchen, i remember someone saying it was a good idea, bringing a bottle from the house and spraying a fitting and completely wrecking the colour of the fitting because of what was in it (but i cant remember what was in the bottle :D )

What is fun is when you solder near some of the old fibre insulation and a bit of that catches fire.

joined a firm 20 odd years ago, the boss was just moving back into his house after 3 week renovation caused by one of the guys working in his house who set fire to old hairfelt under the floor which caught hold completely and ran right along the pipes, started a fire which quickly took hold and turned into a major fire that the fire brigade took a couple of hours (and mega damage) to confirm was out, nearly every floor in the lower level was ripped up, furniture damaged and water damage :eek:
these things happed said the boss, thats what insurance is for, top bloke he was, i'm sure plenty of other bosses would have sacked the guy.

joined a firm 20 odd years ago, the boss was just moving back into his house after 3 week renovation caused by one of the guys working in his house who set fire to old hairfelt under the floor which caught hold completely and ran right along the pipes, started a fire which quickly took hold and turned into a major fire that the fire brigade took a couple of hours (and mega damage) to confirm was out, nearly every floor in the lower level was ripped up, furniture damaged and water damage :eek:
these things happed said the boss, thats what insurance is for, top bloke he was, i'm sure plenty of other bosses would have sacked the guy.

yep totally know what yer on about kirkie, nice wee insurance number
for the gaffer,eh!!!!!! :evil:

Mind you, I'll bet all the joints were well soldered afterwards :LOL:

as stated in other posts apologies for a wee vodka slip

carluke,carfin,croy...........

ye get the jist!!!

remember voodoo no workie!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back