Special tools for uPVC window rubbers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to remove a large double glazed unit to get a new sofa into the lounge. Now I can't get the rubber sealing strips back in.

Are there special tools to do this? If so, who sells them?

Sponsored Links
Always inserted mine by hand. You could try a glazing shovel to help prise the gasket into place.

Softus said:
I had to remove a large double glazed unit to get a new sofa into the lounge. Now I can't get the rubber sealing strips back in.

Are there special tools to do this? If so, who sells them?
Block of wood and rubber mallet is okay with me,( I used to use a hammer but hit the glass once :oops: ) I'm not aware of any special tool for this, You could try some lubricant or a small amount of washing up liquid but not sure if it will perish the rubber long term because of the oil base(?)

Always start the rubber seal at each end and work towards the centre

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the tips everyone - I'll give it a go this week and post the outcome here.

try not to stretch them into place, and cut off any exess.

they will contract back a little and you will end up with a gap.

the top ones usually the hardest, bottom the easiest (gravity)

once you have two opposing runs done, the glass will be mostly seated back, this will make the last two runs slightly easier.

Just when I thought all the tips had come in, some more excellent ones came panting into earshot.

Thanks! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back