"Speech Dialler" that emails?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know of a standalone device (like a speech dialler) that can be programmed to email alerts via the customer's network connection?

I have a customer with a speech dialler (Menvier SD1+) who wants to get rid of her land line. She doesn't want/need the hassle of a GSM speech dialler and I wondered if there was a device that could be programmed to send her emails when it received a trigger input. She has Virgin Media internet so that's on a different cable.

I know that there are panels with add-ons that can do this sort of thing but she is trying to save money (she's a charity worker) so she won't want a panel change.

My thought is that the land line will be her cheapest option...

Sponsored Links
There's probably some Raspberry Pi build with inputs that can be connected to the trigger and a 12v to 5v stepdown. Could be more bother than its worth though...

I was looking for a similar device and found nothing suitable off the shelf. As GalaxyGuy suggested, it is possible to achieve this with a raspberry Pi. I ended up doing this successfully, based on this:

https://github.com/sidb/PiAlarm

The Pi can't accept anything over 5V directly onto its GPIO ports. So to provide isolation and effectively drop the voltage down, a second PCB with optocouplers is used.

Thanks guys. This would be a good solution for the likes of you and me but it would be difficult to support it comercially. My customer will just have to keep her land line!

Sponsored Links
The land line is the best option as it requires no bespoke equipment that some one will have to maintain in the future. It would have to have a user interface to allow the e-mail and message to be changeable by the user as and when necessary.

Although there is an on going rental cost the reliability of a land line and SD1+ is much higher than an e-mail via the internet connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back