speed cameras are dodgy OFFICIAL!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Of course they improve safety. The faster you travel when you crash - the greater the energy release (on your body). Care to prove physics wrong? (thort not).

Of course they improve safety. The faster you travel when you crash - the greater the energy release (on your body). Care to prove physics wrong? (thort not).

did you watch the videos or are you just being your usual self and saying the opposite to get reactions

of course i can't prove physics wrong silly question as we both know

but the facts remain the same amount of people died on the roads as the video shows despite 100's of cameras installed so how do they improve safety over to you joe to figure that out (he won't)

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, I don't know about 'dodgy' but they're certainly dull. I mean did John Major pick the colour scheme? Lets have some uplifting colours like a misty buff or a mint sunrise!

No I didn't watch them I used common sense. If you crash slow you live. If you crash fast you die. That's a fact.

Not necessarily. And there was me thinking that, since the strumming thread, you'd become less outspoken ;).

No I didn't watch them I used common sense. If you crash slow you live. If you crash fast you die. That's a fact.

I prefer not staring at my speedo like a sh*t chucking ape, thereby allowing me to observe the road, pre-empt developing situations and not crashing in the first place.

is this wrong?

"speed kills" is a very simplistic message. Driving is relatively complex. Crashes nearly always have several contributing factors. It's really not that simple

Maybe not that simple but ask yourself - would you rather crash slow or fast? Would you like more reaction time or less? Would you like a shorter or longer stopping distance? The biggest benefit of speed cameras is all the traffic travels at the same speed, no idiot barreling along at 80 in a 50 zone.
Is there any of that you disagree with?

yes this bit
The biggest benefit of speed cameras is all the traffic travels at the same speed
people brake when they see speed cameras whether their over the limit or not......which can't be good for safety

Only if they're speeding. They brake for bends, corners and junctions too - should we banish those? Let's face it - you just want to speed and no amount of argument will convince you otherwise.

joe-90 - i think you're missing the point. No-one is saying that driving slowly doesn't save lives - what they are saying is that speed cameras don't make people slow down and therefore don't save lives. 1000s of people get 'done' by speed cameras so they obviously don't make people slow down. Personally i stick to speed limits because i know that i'm so unlucky the one time i do 3mph over the limit i'll get caught so i do 30 in a 30, 40 in a 40, etc, etc

I came up with a brand new idea the other day, why not link speed cameras to traffic lights 200 yards down the road, if you're speeding past the camera, the lights go red and you have to stop. Therefore it'd actually take you longer to get where you're going than it would if you'd have stuck to the limit!?!

Also if you're watching your speedo like a hawk then it is more time spent with your eyes off the road...

e.g. Joe-90 is driving down the road at 28mph concientiously watching his speedo, as he glances down again to check it someone steps out from between 2 parked vans - Joe doesn't see them as he's looking at his dashboard and hits at 28mph

Speedy Gonzales however pays little attention to his speedo but keeps his eyes on the road, he's guessing the speed he's travelling at with occasional checks on his speedo - he's travelling at 34 mph, however he sees the pedestrian a split second before they step out and slams on the brakes - he hits them at 24mph

e.g. Joe-90 is driving down the road at 28mph concientiously watching his speedo,

Driving at 28 even if there's 3 inches of snow and fog so thick you can't see your front bumper. :rolleyes:

Safe drivers drive to the conditions of the road and pay attention to those around them. Speed limits are merely an arbitrary number chosen to stop Ms 90 in her Ford Fiesta 1.1 from killing herself whilst she stays glued to the speedometer.

I have never known someone have a high-speed collision. I have witnessed exactly 1, and both parties were fortunate enough to walk away. However, I have seen a multitude of low-speed collisions and known many people have low-speed collisions from which they earned whip-lash, dislocated thumbs and rotator-cuff injuries.

Looking at the stats in the way that the revenue generators... sorry, speed camera people... would, that means that speeds under 10mph should be banned, and speeds above 100mph are to be encouraged at all times.

That's obviously not a serious suggestion, but that's the sort of arbitrary thinking they use. :eek:

joe - Speed cameras don't make people drive slower. They don't reduce drivers overall speed. You can still fly down the road at 80 in a 50, then just slow down for the camera and speed back up to 80 again, when you're passed it. They only reduce peoples speed in the 20-30 feet or so, that the camera covers.

Did you read the other week about the Council that removed all of it's speed cameras? Even they admitted they are nothing more than a cash machine.

Sponsored Links
Back