speed cameras are dodgy OFFICIAL!!!!!

No I didn't watch them I used common sense. If you crash slow you live. If you crash fast you die. That's a fact.

perhaps you should watch them joe as you will then see that you can still be going under the speed limit and recieve a fine and penalty points even for perfect drivers like yourself

Sponsored Links
No I didn't watch them I used common sense. If you crash slow you live. If you crash fast you die. That's a fact.

not a fact at all i've seen lots of police video footage and naughty people driving very fast whilst being pursued by the police and when they crash at big speeds not only do then not die (fact) they get out of the car and do a runner

I have calibrated speed cameras on two occasions. On both they agreed precisely with the actual speed shown on my tomtom (81 and 35 respectively).

If they had not I would have asked for calibration details and possibly got off.

I regularly drive past them just over the limit but under the ACPO guidelines and in those circumstance have never been flashed. I drive over 30k miles a year so this really is regular.

I do not believe anyone who says they got a speeding ticket from a camera when they were doing less than the limit, and if you believe what you see on u-tube then I have nothing more to say . . .

If you know a fireman ask his opinion, after all they get the job of cutting people (or corpses) out of cars - more speed makes accidents more likely (one of the contributing factors) and more likely to kill.

If you know a fireman ask his opinion, after all they get the job of cutting people (or corpses) out of cars - more speed makes accidents more likely (one of the contributing factors) and more likely to kill.

No, inappropriate speed is the factor. Sure, everything else being equal the lower speed is better (if you discount factors such as you might have stopped right where that truck jack-knifed etc). But, accidents are seldom equal.

Losing it at 70 on an empty motorway is more survivable to all than losing it at 30 in a residential area at rush hour and skidding into a bus queue.

Fact is, being rubbish at driving is the main factor in almost every accident. :!: That includes other people's rubbish driving (i.e. forcing a swerve, dazzling etc)

The rest can usually be assigned to mechanical failure (usually through poor maintenance and lack of mechanical sympathy) and road surface failure (i.e. pot-holes, unmarked exhaust pipe-removers, black ice, inconsiderate truckers spilling their fuel etc).

Sponsored Links
OK remove them all and we all do what we like. Good idea.

not a fact at all i've seen lots of police video footage and naughty people driving very fast whilst being pursued by the police and when they crash at big speeds not only do then not die (fact) they get out of the car and do a runner

having been there and done that (driving the police cars that is) i was always amazed by the crashes that they used to walk away from relativley unharmed. I was told by a doctor it comes down to the adrenalin thats already pumping through their body while they are being chased. He did assure me that many do feel there injuries a few hours later (nice)

joe - Speed cameras don't make people drive slower. They don't reduce drivers overall speed. You can still fly down the road at 80 in a 50, then just slow down for the camera and speed back up to 80 again, when you're passed it. They only reduce peoples speed in the 20-30 feet or so, that the camera covers.

That's why SPECS are being deployed a lot more now. And they do actually work.

Let's ban speed limits and seat belts.

I think speed cameras should be set to go off 20% over the speed limit in that vicinity i.e 50 mph in a 40 mph (approx) and let those blatant speeders get a massive fine and lose their license!!!

I have no sympathy for these idiots who drive around like maniacs in built up areas!

Lets have more cameras in 30 MPH zones :D

I do not believe anyone who says they got a speeding ticket from a camera when they were doing less than the limit, and if you believe what you see on u-tube then I have nothing more to say . . .

I do believe as it was from footage taken from the tv along with a lazer expert and even pointing the speed gun at a stationary car gave a reading of speed, you say nothing and be ignorant to the fact that they are not bullet proof as has been proved in a court of law!!!!!

I also once read in motorcycle news that in a city in europe (think it was holland) they removed all traffic lights, roundabouts, road markings etc and the accident rate fell dramatically because drivers had to actually think about situations rather than just being in their comfort zone of their nice shiny shell

I think speed cameras should be set to go off 20% over the speed limit in that vicinity i.e 50 mph in a 40 mph (approx) and let those blatant speeders get a massive fine and lose their license!!!

I have no sympathy for these idiots who drive around like maniacs in built up areas!

Lets have more cameras in 30 MPH zones :D

That wouldn't work, you're missing the whole point :rolleyes:

Most accidents happen in 30 zones, so most people chose a safe speed and drive carefully, and by and large don't tend to exceed the posted speed limit through common sense.

not many accidents happen on good dual carriageways and A-roads, so people drive faster.

therefore, speed cameras are put on good dual carriageways and A-roads, so they can catch lots of people where it's safe to go a little quicker, and turn a good profit. Of course, speed enforcement in 30 zones might catch more of the real nutters, but wouldn't be as profitable (financially or statistically/target driven) as speed enforcement on open roads.

Sponsored Links
Back