Speed Humps

ban-all-sheds said:
The most effective I've ever encountered weren't actually bumps - the driveway to a stately home I visited had small ditches dug at an angle across it, so traversing each one caused 4 separate instances of a wheel dropping into a depression.

And I still maintain that no matter what the Highway Code (which is not the law, BTW) says, deliberately making roads more dangerous is not what councils should do.

BAS....am I understanding that you are saying that the "road" people-whatever you were calling it.....it doesnt matter I wont remember it.....but they are deliberately making the roads bad in order to injure people and damage your car?

Sponsored Links
No - that is not their purpose, but they are takng roads where the speed limit is X, and then adding features to it which will damage your car, or increase the risk to other road users if you drive at X, or even any where near it.

It just seems to me that they should be making the roads safer, not more dangerous, and if they want the traffic to go slower they should change, and enforce, the speed limits, not do it by increasing the number of hazards.

Don't get the hump ...
Here is some law on dimensions, lighting (?) etc... Tape measures, straight edges ... anger - frustation -
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1999/19991025.htm

Poor old London .... ;)
Greater London Authority Act 1999
1999 Chapter 29
Sections 267 to 270: Miscellaneous and supplementary
ection 268 provides for TfL and boroughs to construct road humps which do not conform to current Government regulations......

.... Where a borough proposes to construct non- standard road humps, it must notify the Secretary of State and take his comments into account before proceeding....

:D :D :D

wouldn't a better detterent like rotating blades be more efficient?

Sponsored Links
Speed bumps are environmentally damaging.
The cause excessive wear and tear on brake pads, clutches, shock absorbers and suspension bushes - HARMING THE ENVIRONMENT and promoting lower levels of ozone and increased ashma.

Speed bumps, like speed cameras increase petrol consumption - HARMING THE ENVIRONMENT that little kiddies and small birds and mice and voles live in.

Although speed cameras encourage people to slow down, they also distract attention AND increase breaking distances.

Speed bumps increase the loads placed on roads by lorries and HGV's directly after the bumps, thus causing more regular road repairs, and taking cash out of my pocket that I was going to give to charity(?)

kendor said:
wouldn't a better detterent like rotating blades be more efficient?
Overall a better deterrent would be a more intelligent use of variable speed limits so that drivers respect them more, and better enforcement.

ban-all-sheds said:
Overall a better deterrent would be a more intelligent use of variable speed limits so that drivers respect them more, and better enforcement.
Couldn't agree more BAS, Any sensible and safe driver would find 20mph(or even less) acceptable in certain areas, if they were allowed to drive at more appropriate speeds where it is safe to do so.

I see a twofold obstacle in all this though, the motorist is considered to be a cash cow(dubious fines,parking fees etc) and the whole health and safety industry is an out of control vested interest group.

I can't see any of the above ever changing.

I'm all for Health and Safety especially in the workplace as it's the only weapon an employee has these days against an aggressive employer.

ban-all-sheds

regarding your future hobby at taking the council to task ...

I do that now an have a Highway officer who I speak too personally about such matters , I know I am a Victor Meldew to them BUT I am very happy in knowledge How irratating to them I am ..lol....

In Greater Manchester the speed humps need to be on a straight road of no less than 300 yards , the road needs to signed an warn drivers of the max limit
an the height at fullest must not be more than 8" in old money or new 200mm.....(an when you think that 8" is a real height isnt it ?)

This thread came to mind tonight whilst walking to the pub. My other half usually gives me a lift but she went out tonight on a works do.

The main road at the end of our(minor road) has bumps which you can minimise if you hit them centrally. However this means driving in the middle of the road or in the kerb.

When cars are coming in both directions they have to take the latter route, which means when its been peeing it down the pedestrians get soaked, like I did tonight, lousy g*t! :cry:

securespark said:
Please don't move this - I believe it will get a better response here.

I had an argument with a senior council employee many years ago. It went like this:

What is the speed limit on this road?
30mph.
So that means I can travel over these speed bumps at 30 then?
No, you have to reduce your speed to travel over them.
In that case, don't you think there ought to be 20mph signs preceding them?

In Auto Express this week, it is reported that in Sunderland up to 2K speed bumps are illegally installed because the RTA demands that a 20mph zone be set up before sb's are installed.

Without the zones, the humps are classed as an obstruction in the highway, an offence under the RTA.

Interesting!

[url=http://www.sunderlandtoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=1107&ArticleID=1343453]Dunderland LINK[/url] said:
.......Metric martyr Neil Herron, who received the letter, and Captain David Green, who first complained about the humps 10 years ago, said there had to be a zone legally in place for speed humps to be installed.
Without the order, Captain Green said the humps installed before 1996 should be classed as an obstruction in the highway - an offence under the Road Traffic Act........
Captain Green, 65, of Cairnside, East Herrington, said: "In 1996, they put a load of humps in and 20mph zones and they never had the authority to do it.
"These are illegal and it could cost millions of pounds to rectify. In the initial phase, up to 1996, there was about 2,000 humps and it costs about £1,000 to put each one in.
"It's a chaotic situation - and now they're in line for prosecution for putting dangerous obstructions on the highway."
The claims come after Mr Herron and retired mariner Captain Green exposed missing traffic orders that led to the council refunding parking tickets..........

A council spokesman said: "We are in the process of regularising procedural issues in relation to 20 mph zones and road humps in order to ensure we continue to enjoy the significant road safety benefits which these measures have produced in the city."

Stutory Instrument : The Highways (Road Humps) Regulations 1999

Here is an iffy part of the law -- under road sewer is similar to a culvert or tunnel isn't it??
That would appear to make most road humps illegal surely?

Instrument said:
(6) No road hump shall be constructed or maintained in a highway:
................. or,

(d) above or within 25 metres of any part of a bridge over which a carriageway of that highway passes or any part of a tunnel, culvert or other similar structure which crosses beneath a carriageway of that highway.
:cool: :cool:

Moz said:
In Greater Manchester the speed humps need to be on a straight road of no less than 300 yards , the road needs to signed an warn drivers of the max limit
an the height at fullest must not be more than 8" in old money or new 200mm.....(an when you think that 8" is a real height isnt it ?)

Not in Stockport, mate!!

Round the corner from me they're taking out the old speed hump because they are too high (not allow to be over 100mm (?) according to the EU so I've been told :rolleyes: ) so now we have a nice 1m x 1m square lower speed hump and you can't feel a thing when driven over :LOL: What the point eh?

mail2neil said:
Speed bumps are environmentally damaging.
The cause excessive wear and tear on brake pads, clutches, shock absorbers and suspension bushes

Thay also shorten the life of exhausts as the cause excessive stress on the welds. After going through 2 exhausts in 3 years I changed my route to work avoiding them. Haven't had a new exhaust yet :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back