Speedfit and Olives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to connect up a shower in to 15mm speedfit pipes. Do I need to use the 15mm copper olives that came with the shower fixing kit or will the 15mm pipe inserts suffice?

Sponsored Links
What type of connector are you going to use is the key ?
But apart from that, copper olives are for copper pipes only, and used with a compression coupling.

Speedfit is come through a brass mounting fix on the wall going into a chrome plated brass threaded valve inlet with nut going onto the wall outlet - suspect that PTFE over the threads of the wall mount will do the job and not use the Olive

I disagree with Bathjobby. If you are connecting Speedfit pipe to a compression fitting, you use both the insert inside the end of the pipe, and the olive inside the compression joint. There's no problem with connecting Speedfit into a compression fitting with it's olive. Don't use any jointing compound or PTFE on the actual compression joint.

I'm unsure what shower fitting you are using, but some threads on these will poss need PTFE, if there is no other seal.

Sponsored Links
What type of connector are you going to use is the key ?
But apart from that, copper olives are for copper pipes only, and used with a compression coupling.
You can definately use compression on plastic but use copper not brass olives.

I also understand, from my limited knowlage, that there are two types of speedfit insert.

The more common 'superseal' inserts with two o-rings on them, that can only be used on speedfit push fit fittings, and plan inserts, which are to be used with compression fittings 9and other pushfits brands?) as they allow futher insersion of the pipe.

Certainly no tape on compression fittings!

Daniel

From the wall the 15mm push fit is going into the valve via wall mount onto which a shroud is screwed, the valve has 22mm nut which screws onto the shroud and this doesn't appear to be a compression type joint. The only other item between the end of the pipe and then into the valve is filter surrounded by a rubber washer. Not sure what purpose the olive fulfills but with include them, fit the valve and see if we have any leaks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back