Speedfit fitting and copper pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, im looking for a bit of advice and or reassurance really.

I have replaced my Kitchen sink (stainless steel) with a black Astracast sink. I decided to fit the sink myself and connect up the plumbing.

As the stainless sink was connected from the hot / cold inlet to the tap via copper pipe I had to cut through the copper to release the sink.
All went well with the cold feed, then I cut through the hot feed, at this point I got a bit nervous. As the pipe cutter went completely through the pipe, the hot pipe dropped to rest on the hole coming through the back of the kitchen cupboard.
The pipe could easily move up and down and, I would have thought, done a complete 360 degree rotation

As nothing was leaking etc, I carried on. I fitted the sink and turned the water back on. It has been like this for about a month but as the new tap uses flexi pipes, the hot inlet is still resting on the hole in the back of the cupboard.

The cold feed is fine as there is a number of pipes connected to the cold feed and as such this is still fixed rigid.

I had a plumber look at the work and he said that the copper pipe was on a speed fit fitting

Im slightly concerned that the hot pipe is slack and not supported.

Is there any chance that the speedfit fitting could be pushed out under
pressure ?

Does the pipe need to be supported?

Finally, should I have a plumber come in and fit the sink using copper ?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Is there any chance that the speedfit fitting could be pushed out under
pressure ?
If installed correctly, you shouldn't have any problems with speedfit. Apart from looking unprofessional and untidy, it does its job ok.

Does the pipe need to be supported?
Ideally yes

Finally, should I have a plumber come in and fit the sink using copper ?
I personally wouldn't use speedfit in my home, but i have used it to get out of awkward situations on jobs. It all comes down to your personal preference.

Thanks for that, the speedfit joint is actually in the wall and it has copper pipe coming out of it.
I have only connected onto the copper pipe that comes out of it.

I was more concerned that the pipe was able to rotate within the speedfit joint and as such the joint wouldnt be secure and could come apart

You shouldn't really have any type of compression fitting buried in walls in case of future problems.
The pipe rotating in the fitting is normal with speedfit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, im glad the fitting rotating is normal, it did really make me nurvous when the pipe dropped and was able to rotate.

Lucally, I have no compression fittings in the walls, well nothing I have done, the house is only a year old and was built by Persimmon.

When I lifted the sink out, both the hot and cold feeds where copper pipe fitted into speed fittings in the wall

So do you recomend I find some way to strap the hot water pipe to the back of the cupoard to prevent it from being able to move ?

Its not in dange of being knocked in any way I am just concerned that as it is not supported in any way other than resting on the back of the cupbaord it may, slowly, over time, push its way out.

Without Prejudice What you have is how it`s done on new build - no names mentioned ;) . You`ll be lucky to find more than a few meters of copper in the whole place

Without Prejudice What you have is how it`s done on new build - no names mentioned ;) . You`ll be lucky to find more than a few meters of copper in the whole place

Few Meters ? Really that much ?

All the visable pluming is plastic with push fit connections and im sure it was plastic when I had the bath pannel off as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back