speedfit isolating valve (hopefully uncessesary panic)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - just doing some "simple" re-plumbing using speedfit. Is excellent so
far (no leaks!) but have a question using isolating valve
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12372/Plumbing/Push-Fit-Fittings/JG-Speedfit-Isolating-Valve-15mm

These are being used as temporary end stops and I'm having a panic because
there's nothing on the other sides (yet). What's stopping them them from
coming off!?!?!? Specifically with these, there's no "screw lock" like there
is on the other connectors, so I guess its just the inner "ring" that's
stopping it from coming off !?!?!?

Sponsored Links
Long as you pushed it on fully ,used a liner if it`s onto speedfit pipe...And not onto chrome pipe....you`re OK.

You could try pulling it off as hard as you can, it won`t budge unless you push that ring towards the fitting @ the same time ;)
Dunno why they have that locking gizmo on the other fittings :confused:

They'll be fine, or should I say as fine as push fit can be.

Just make sure you use the correct insert, and fit them the right way round.

You can always use a short length of pipe and a cap end as a temporary.

Sponsored Links
Long as you pushed it on fully ,used a liner if it`s onto speedfit pipe...And not onto chrome pipe....you`re OK...
Thanks for the really quick replies! I'm using speedfit pipes with inserts (same as "liner" ?)
I've got the isolation valve the correct way around.
Didn't release air FIRST. Am I in trouble?

Looking closer at the colet, I see its got steel(?) "teeth". I guess these grab the pipe, so it shouldn't come out.

Thanks. I think I'll stop panicing...

You can always turn the mains off before you put the head on the pillar. :idea:

I'm more a soldered joints man myself - I guess they must be fine if people use them but I just don't trust push fit connections with mains pressure. Had my house flooded once ( cracked cistern while I was working away for a few days ) - Don't ever want to have to sort out a mess like that again.....

Op, hope you have a few spare liners, since when you take these temporary fittings off, they have a wonderful habit of keeping hold of the liners. With the screw tight fittings you refer to earlier, it's relatively easy to dismantle the fitting to remove them, but with the iso valves you're using, it may be a bit of a pest.

Op, hope you have a few spare liners, since when you take these temporary fittings off, they have a wonderful habit of keeping hold of the liners. With the screw tight fittings you refer to earlier, it's relatively easy to dismantle the fitting to remove them, but with the iso valves you're using, it may be a bit of a pest.
I think I know what you mean - I pulled the pipe out and the insert (liner?) stayed in the connector. It came out without damaging the connector though.

The "screw tight fitting", as far as I can see, is just extra security. It doesn't affect the ability to remove an insert (provided you unscrew first of-course).

I used a new insert, but the problem was quite simple - I hadn't pushed the pipe in far enough. So for future connections its quite easy - use the marks on the pipe to ensure its pushed in far enough or just mark 3cm from the end of the pipe. (for 15mm connectors)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back