spillage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi. im studying for the acs after plumbing for number of years decided top go into gas. chap im working does alot of install and doesnt know alot about fires i think. causes of fires spilling--- spigot blocked, flue blocked/poor flue pull, incorrect flue termination ,extactor fan in room running, open gaps in back plate thus causing draughts into catchment area

is there anything other causes i should be aware of that you have commonly come across. any advice would be gratful as im sure theres plenty of people here with wide experience

thank you

Sponsored Links
mod.

i'd like to know the answer to these questions as i'm doing my gas at the minute.
i dont think its useful to hide all this gas talk from all folks....i understand why you've done it..ie joe public....but to also exclude plumbers and would be gas operators...this site was a good learning tool...its now missing in parts

jamie

and the thing you forgot was ventilation.

the old biddy blocked it with news paper due to the draughts. :idea:

now she sits in her seat a bright shade of red. :confused:

because she's dead. :eek: :eek:

the coroner said it was carbon monoxide poisoning.

and you are going to prison for manslaughter all because you failed to remeber to check the ventillation :(

ventilation yes. anything else i should know. i mean acs as we know is rubbish , corgi book has a couple of lines on causes of spillage , guy i work with it just does installs so im afraid this is my only means of informing myself. theres only so much training manulas and guides to read.nothing beats real life scenarios. people like us cant join cc because were not corgi reg. i can understand not discussing how to adjust a gas valve but im talking about putting a match under fire canopy and understanding why that smoke is pouring out. thanks to the last chap for his input

Sponsored Links
Spiders webs built up over summer even on 9 inch brick chimney.
Wrong use of flue spigot restrictor,
Previous back boiler fitted and fibre glass been left up chimney when liner removed and then fell into wrong place.
Previous fire works ok with 5inch GC1 terminal but new fire requiring 7 inch .
Old baxi coal fire fitted and air vent from underneath not sealed
Damper plate in chimney not removed and fell shut/ also old fashioned (early 70`s)gas fires used a metal plate up chimney to restrict flue pull, still some about and need removing.
Chimney actually to high or too short
Copex used in a loft instead of twin wall and flue cools down too much to pull properly.
Gas pressure to high
Radiants /coals beds not place correctly over burners.
Catchment space too large and doesn`t get up to heat for flue to pull
Precast flues with mortar fangs or old style blocks not suitable for modern fires.
Bolts on ridge tiles broke causing poor seal with r type adaptor.
House located in a valley and outside air pressure will not allow fire to pull.

Also remember those fans on lights must be tested going forward and in reverse same as extractor fans also if extractor in adjacent room the fire must be tested with the door open and fan on.
Customers with basket type fires sticking bags etc up chimney to stop draught and forgeting they have done it
If you see large twigs in catchment space it could be an indication of a birds nest further up a jackdaw will fill a chimney bottom to top in a matter of days

ventilation yes. anything else i should know. i mean acs as we know is rubbish , corgi book has a couple of lines on causes of spillage , guy i work with it just does installs so im afraid this is my only means of informing myself. theres only so much training manulas and guides to read.nothing beats real life scenarios. people like us cant join cc because were not corgi reg. i can understand not discussing how to adjust a gas valve but im talking about putting a match under fire canopy and understanding why that smoke is pouring out. thanks to the last chap for his input

Have to disagree ACS is not rubbish it is there to test operatives who have had adequate training both on and off the job. If you have had plenty of on the job experience with a good RGI covering a wide range of jobs. I can not speak for all ACS centres but unless you had gained the right amount of on the job training on different jobs we would not let you sit your ACS exams. I know some colleges are not so fusy.

My advise to the original poster is to find an RGI who does maintenance and servicing work to work alongside for a few days to help gain on the job experience on more than white boxes on walls.

Have to say all NAMSAG has listed is good advise but you need to put this information into practise to learn properly.

Bolts on ridge tiles broke causing poor seal with r type adaptor.

couple times had broken ridge tiles, look fine from loft space but can see if you look carefully outside. Easy to miss when the suns in your eyes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back