Spilt oil on garage floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyway to get rid of or hide this spilt 2 stroke oil? When I've
20170617_130310.jpg
done this with petrol it just seems to evaporate.

Sponsored Links
you can get Oil Stain Remover from places like Halfords. It is a strong detergent which you scrub in and wash away with water.

Do it quickly before the oil hardens.

I use the Gunk one in a red plastic bottle.

There is also the original version of Gunk Engine Degreaser in a metal tin WHICH IS NOT SUITABLE. The instructions mention that you must not get water on the engine before using it. It smells a bit.

I think you are knackered I'm afraid, but a couple of things you could try.
The procedure for getting wax out of carpets, lay blotting paper or kitchen towel over the area and apply a domestic iron, change the paper each time it gets saturated, long winded but worth trying.
sprinkle neat washing powder/liquid on the area and a little splash of water then scrub with a stiff brush and rinse off.

Gunk and Jizer are both good products, Mmm happy memories of gunk on a hot bike engine, almost a good as the whiff of Castrol R being burnt.(y)

Pour petrol on it to dilute (?) the oil, then degreaser to make the diluted oil water soluble, then washing up liquid , a scrub with a brush followed by a good rinse. Works even with used diesel engine oil and creosote

Sponsored Links
I successfully used Swarfega Oil and Grease Remover on a large oil stain on tarmac. IIRC 5 litres was around £10.

I successfully used swarfega on an oil stain on concrete. Just plain old hand cleaner swarfega. I rubbed it in with a scrubbing brush and washed it off with water.

It's pretty ingrained and dried now. I scrubbed with washing up liquid. Have another go with swafega?

You could try Trisodium Phosphate, I used this guide recently...

https://www.familyhandyman.com/garage/removing-oil-paint-and-other-concrete-stains/view-all

I've had good results with it to remove some dried finishing oil from concrete recently. For the "absorbent material" I used Diatomaceous Earth (both available on eBay BTW). It worked great on the trial run I did here of doing half the stain, to see how well it works...

View attachment 121434

I was so impressed I've ordered a load more to do the rests of the stains. You can see it will need a couple more applications to finish the job.

Last edited:
As an alternative accept that is is a garage floor and leave the stain alone. OK wipe off any excess so it does not get spread into the house but does a stain on a garage floor really matter?

Traffic film remover works really well for me, soaking the stain with the concentrated solution and pressure washing it off afterwards.
John :)

Pour cement on it, let it dry and sweep it up. Then use swarfega drive cleaner on it. Done it many times and it's always worked.

Why do you care? Rental property?

If none of the above methods works, grind it out and use self levelling compound (if you're bothered) to fill in, then paint the floor so it a)hides it and b) makes it easier to wipe up next time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back