Spirovent results for anyone interested

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have had my Spirovent Dirt collector fitted to the new Viessman. they are fairly uncommon so I thought I would show the results.

I have not been running the heating, but I ran the circulating pump (boiler set to cold) through the boiler and rads for 24 hours, and drained out the dirt trap to see what it had found (the system was pretty clean already, and was powerflushed before installing the new boiler)

these three small dishes show the results. the further one was the first and has a number of particles in it. the second has brownish water and few particles. the third is fairly clear. the collecting vessel looks like it holds half a pint or so. i tested the particles with a magnet, a few are magnetic but most are not, and feel gritty. the powerflush included a magnetic trap, I think it was a kamco.

I have decided it will be less trouble to attach a transparent hose to the drain cock (there is not much clearance between the valve and the top of the boiler to put a collecting dish). the instructions say to squirt the dirt out but not to drain clean water.

Sentinel now sell a similar device which I understand is based on the same patents.

View media item 3783
View media item 3406
I picked up the Spirovent some time ago, but as it is 22mm and my old boiler was 28mm, did not get round to fitting it :oops:

Sponsored Links
Have started to fit these spirovent to my condensing combi boiler replacements which have existing oldish radiators, but not fitting them on new installations. Do you reckon that small ammount of debris could cause a problem or two to a new condensing combi? Nice to see mr.blobby in the picture standing guard over the boiler. :)

been fitting these for the last 9 months on every installation we do ( warmfront grant work)

Unfortunatly haven't been back to any to test results but would be interested to see them from a system which wasn't powerflushed.

Ugly bit of kit though aint they!

Sam

my rads are old, but I have cleaned them before. It will be interesting to see what I find after running the heating for a winter.

The old boiler clonked and bonked a lot (Potterton Flamingo) and I tried the range of desludgers, lime descaler and rust removers earlier this year, but couldn't keep it quiet for long. I have had a look inside the old heat exchanger after taking off a side-plate, but can't see down to the bottom. I imagine it is corroded.

Sponsored Links
I've had that amount of crud make the Vaillant HE noisy in the past, when on for DHW.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back