Spirotech Filter

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have a Spiro filter, one of the older type, solid brass, no magnet, with a labyrinth to trap particles and a valve underneath to squirt it out.

It was briefly fitted when I had a powerflush and new boiler, but the installer removed it when he wrongly thought it was obstructing flow (in fact, his unqualified assistant had installed the pump wrong).

The system is an open-vented Vitodens 100 Compact showing no signs of dirt or corrosion, and I want to keep it that way. It has Sentinel X100. The return pipe on the boiler already has fittings to take it, but the gap has been filled in with a bit of pipe, so it would go back easily.

Is a modern filter with magnet sufficiently better to make it worth binning the Spiro and splashing out on a new one?

Sponsored Links
In my opinion yes.

I've gone through stages of fitting Spirotechs, Spirotechs with magnet, Magnacleans, TF1s

For me the Spirotechs are of better construction being brass but a Magnaclean pro 2 is a much better filter

Just to mix it up a bit I'd say no. Stick with the spirotec.

Are you sure it doesnt have a magnet? the MB2 had an internal magnet and has been in use for many years, and works better than any other filter I've seen on the market.

Adey (magnaclean) imo are plastic rubbish that are made to look impressive but I've worked on far to many systems that are fitted with them and still have lots of problems with dirt.

You dont need an MRI powered magnet to trap dirt, there more of a gimmick in my opinion although they do without a doubt "assist" in the capture of magnetic debris, but the Spirotec is more than enough to slow the flow rate and trap the suspended solids in the water.

Sponsored Links
If this is what you mean, it has an internal magnet. Good build quality and easy to clean out when required.

Attachments

• 2299.JPG
    2299.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 1,045
As I recall the brass one has a fairly weak ferrite magnet. The explanation they give is that the magnet helps to attract magnetic dirt but when opening the flushing valve the force of the water is enough to wash the dirt out.

The later black plastic one has a very strong magnet and this is isolated from the water so to clean all you do is lift the magnet out and flush the dirt out.

That is a very simple method and any customer can be instructed how to do it. The Magnaclean style would be beyond many customers.

Tony

The MB3 whcih is the later magnabooster from spirotec which sports the outside magnet is there, because intallers moaned that not enough rubbish came out the MB2 on emptying, (because the magnet was internal and the dirt stuck to it with a good force) Does not mean that its not working perfectly well, it will just allow a bit more of a build up before its willing to let the material go when flushing.

Dan you talking about the TF1? If so I've seen hundreds of them leaking, (more than the origional magnaboosters probably)

Mine is an old one, very heavy. I got it a while ago from some retired plumber, didn't use it as I got a Magnaclean, which was fine until it started to leak.

View media item 3406
It does not have the option to adjust the angle of the body to make it vertical on a diagonal or horizontal pipe.

It's a Sentinel one then. Probably made in the same factory.

Not very effective.

Or rather, Sentinel had an identical one. Probably made in the same factory. I've tried both and neither were effective.

I fitted an MB3 two years ago after a system clean out. Since then I've taken out one litre on each anniversary of the system clean: first sample had particles 1cm deep (in a 2 litre bottle) and following year less than half centimetre.

Maintain the correct level of inhibitor the amount of filteted particles should drop each year.

Speaking from experience, domestic spirotech filters are well made but not very effective at capturing black magnetite particles.
Out of all of them adey magnecleans give the best results.
Spirotech make excellent products elsewhere in their range, we always hold spirotop air vents in stock as they are unequalled by anyone else.

Last edited:
Saw a spiro. @ a boot fair this morning - £40.00 not cheap enough for me to buy and fit @ home (n)

In a new system a proper air separator is more effective than a debris filter, much better to prevent debris rather than try and catch it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back